voice recognition software recommendation

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by derm318, Apr 4, 2005.

1. derm318 macrumors newbie

Feb 12, 2005
    Any suggestions for voice recognition software, which is at least semi-reliable?
  2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    Have you tried the Speech system built into OS X? Go to System Preferences -> Speech.
  3. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

Jun 1, 2004
    California Coast
    Alternative "low tech" solution

I used Dragon Systems for quite a while and with very careful attention to my speech patterns, I could reach an accuracy rate of about 80%. Then I stumbled upon an on-line dictation service that uses real live transcriptionists and charges a fraction of what the software cost me.
    The service is iDictate and is located at www.idictate.com.
    It is nearly error free and I don't need to learn any strange commands. When I want them to "go back and underline the last sentence", they do.
    My standard method of input is over the phone, but you can upload a variety of files via email.
    For most jobs, they charge one-penny a word (US). You can upload templates, letterhead, special forms.
    In short - I love the system and it works SO much better tan any voice software I've tried.
  4. Daveway macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    IBM makes a GREAT speech recognition program for the mac. I forgot what it is called though. :eek: