Voice Recorder

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by applekid, Feb 5, 2007.

1. applekid macrumors 68020

2. BigPrince macrumors 68020

You can buy an attachment from a third party for you iPod, if you have one, which is suppose to record fairly well. It is roughly $50 bucks or so. But if you go that route, I encourage you to do more research, and share that with us.

Before deciding to use Garageband to record my needs, I was going to go with an Olympus, I don't remember the model number though.

3. California macrumors 68040

California

Get an iTalk. Great quality. Perfect for lectures. Up to 12 hours of one voice memo, directly to your iTunes.

4. pna macrumors 6502

I picked up this same olympus model a fair bit of time ago to replace a small cassette recorder I'd been using for a long time as sort of an audio log as I'd travel. I looked into all of the same attachments for the ipod that are being described here, as I thought it'd be much preferred to just have the sound files dump onto a big hard drive rather than onto a tiny 64 Mb flash drive. But in the end, the olympus was a better choice for me. I take it places I wouldn't take my ipod (camping, kayaking, etc), and from off to on and recording is pretty much instantaneous, as opposed to how long it takes to get the ipod up and running from sleep. The sound quality of the built in mic is excellent as well.

The only problem with the unit, frankly, is the sound files it records. Either DSS or WMA. The quality of both is fine for most things, but neither work without being reencoded in iTunes, which takes a while and inflates the file size.

For the extra 50 bucks, I'd say it's worth it. If all you're ever going to do is to record lectures, though, then maybe it's not worth it to you. For recording all of the other random, funny little things that happen while travelling, though, it's a much more functional recorder.

5. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

I completely forgot about iTalk for the iPod. Unfortunately for me, the original iPod Nano lacks voice recording capabilities.

The Olympus Voice Recorder is still looking pretty good. Kind of disappointed about the DSS and WMA file formats, but those can be overcome.

Surprised I haven't had any luck finding other brands or options. The prices are very unattractive considering how cheap a memory card goes for now.

6. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I have this Olympus, and I love it. Great battery time, light-weight, incredibly easy to use. You can download and convert your files to .aif with the software that comes with it, then just convert to .mp3 in iTunes. I did a lot of research before I bought this, and I'm really pleased with my choice.

Only thing that I found confusing, was that you have to use the hold button as the on/off switch.

7. HugMnster macrumors member

I have the ws-100

I have one of this the model is ws-100. Anyway to take the recordings to put on a cd that will play in a regular cd player on a mac. If not is there one that someone can recommend that will be mac compatible to let me made cd's of the recorded messages. My church wants to use one to recordes the sermons an put them out on a cd. We are not in a permiment building an do not have access to our sound system each week an need to put out a service message on cd for members to listen to. Thanks for any suggestions.

8. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Not sure what your completely asking, but have you tried garage band?

9. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

10. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I've used an old school Sony in the past, and this one looks pretty sweet for $55. Can't find info on file types, though ...

11. HugMnster macrumors member

Ok what I have is the Olympus ws-100 that my church wants to use to record services with. we are in between buildings at the moment an using a restraunt that is letting us have space for free til we get new place. we do not need a sound system at the moment an not able to run ours there so they want to use a voice recorder to record with an put the recording back out on cd. I just found out that this thing records in wma formart so I need to convert that file into something on the mac an then put it on a cd that will play in a cd player. not mp3. I just noticed that someone suggested easywma in a message here an I think I will try that next week after I get the recorded handed off to me to see how it works an sounds.

jack