Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
Can anyone tell me where I can record my voice in GarageBand through the built in speaker of my iBook?

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
Peter Griffin said:
Can anyone tell me where I can record my voice in GarageBand through the built in speaker of my iBook?
Well, to start off with, you cant record through a speaker, you need to use the mic.

Quality is typically poor through build in mics. Best to get an external, and run it through some pre-amp.
M-Audio has some nice stuff. Here is a little USB pre-amp
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MobilePreUSB-main.html

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
VanMac said:
Well, to start off with, you cant record through a speaker, you need to use the mic.

Quality is typically poor through build in mics. Best to get an external, and run it through some pre-amp.
M-Audio has some nice stuff. Here is a little USB pre-amp
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MobilePreUSB-main.html

Sorry typo there. Anyway, I'm not looking into purchasing any other peripherials just yet. I'd like to test out the waters of GarageBand for now so it'd be great if you can tell me how to utilize the mic recording option in GB. Thanks

wrxguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2005
Deepest Regions of Hell
ok add a new track using the track button at the top...then choose "Real Instrument" and then choose Vocals...from there you can add effects or just leave it how it is...and then hit create and your done! hit record at the bottom and start yapping away!

Whigga Spitta

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2004
Can you say Chi-City??
if you record vocals while not playing music through the speakers, the quality can be surprisingly adequate.

the next step after that (i would say) would be checking out a Griffin iMic with a standard microphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.