Voiding Warrenty

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by TypeR389, May 24, 2002.

1. TypeR389 macrumors member

how is apple about voiding warrentys on their notebooks. I think I read the only thing they authorize you to do is to add ram, and add an airport. Would swapping out the hard drive void it? And even if it does, can they even tell if you were to put the oiriginal back in if you had to get it serviced? Do they put a security sticker or something over one screw to prevent this?

2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Yes swapping a HD voids the warrenty, I am not sure if they have something that tells them if someone has voided the warrenty, well you can always look for new parts.

3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Only in iBooks, NOT in PowerBooks. On the PowerBooks, changing the hard drive is listed as one of the user-installable parts/items. Essentially, anything listed as 'user-installable' will NOT void the warranty.

If you are concerned, contact an Apple store, or Apple itself and ask them.

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I've always known that if someone qualified to do it...ie. a tech who is qualified by Apple...

anyway...if that's not the case...I'm in some trouble... :rolleyes:

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

WTF! Why would they make that a viod-able offence? It makes no sense to me. Is it that hard to go in and swicth out the drive? It just seems so ridiculous to me.:(

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

duke,

More is involved in replacing an iBook hard drive then a TiBook. With more needing to be done, Apple would rather you had an authorized/certified tech perform the swap. You could probably get an Apple retail store to do it for you, or an AASP.

7. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I'm going to assume that opening your iBook and finding a hard drive there that wasn't the one that came with it would be a clue.

I haven't investigated it with the new iBooks, but with the old clamshell iBooks, the answer to your question is absolutely yes, it really is that hard to go in and switch out the drive. I once had a PDF that told you how to do it, and even as a guy who believes an unvoided warranty is a sign of a big wuss, I did not want to attempt this on my own hardware. You had to take, more or less, every single component out of the iBook. The screen had to be removed. The entire operation required you to remove about two dozen screws. Replacing the HD in a clamshell iBook was such a difficult procedure they wouldn't even let authorized service centers do it. If it was going to happen at all, you'd have to ship it back to Apple.