Voip phone?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fromalk, Oct 1, 2006.

1. fromalk macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I've just purchased my first Mac ever, a macbook. So I'm still totally new to the mac scene, I am however an experianced pc user and about to widen my horizon :D .

I've been looking for a voip phone, philips has some decent models but none of these have mac support? Does anyone emlse know a good voip phone for mac and skype. If possible it should be wireless to :eek:

Thanks in advance

2. Gee macrumors 65816

I have a wired one from www.ipevo.com. Works fine, but probably not exactly what you're looking for.

3. MisterEd macrumors 6502

There's at least one on the Apple store site, seems to get good reviews.
    They should be in the Audio/speakers section.

Ed

4. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

5. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

I *think* the DS Lite works as a VoIP phone. Not to mention, its a DS Lite, which gives it an added benefit of being awesome.

6. fromalk thread starter macrumors member

There are some interesting phones posted here, however I'm just wondering how can you call a skype contact if you have no display to select between all of your contacts?

Don't want to come over as a noob but I have no experiance what so ever with this :p

7. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

In order to call contacts when using an ordinary phone and SKYMACMATE all you need to do is rename your contacts in SKYPE and prefix them with a unique number e.g.

12 FRED BLOGGS
    13 SUE BLOGGS

To call FRED BLOGGS all you have to do is enter *12# on the phone (I usually program these into my cordless phone). To dial a landline or mobile number just enter * then the telephone number, followed by a #.
    I dont have to go anywhere near my MAC MINI. :D

This document on SKYMACMATE may explain all

http://www.yealink.com/en/download/User%20manual%20for%20USB%20Adaptor(MAC%20OS%20X)%20V1.0.pdf

8. jane doe macrumors 6502

I just started a VoIP company for the simple fact that most are not mac compatible.

9. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

Is this possible? It would rock if it would work.