Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

German magazine Capital is reporting (google translation) that talks between Apple and Volkswagen are in an early stage for a so-called "iCar".

According to a Volkswagen company spokesperson, the two company heads held talks a few days ago in California on more heavily incorporating Apple products in Volkswagen's compact cars.

Apple already has a dedicated page for the integration of its iPod products into automobiles. Recently, Apple has worked with BMW for iPhone integration in 7-series models.

Article Link

uraniumwilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2007
Ah, THAT'S how Apple decided to finally roll out the new version Logic Pro. A Volkswagen and a recording studio all in one package... Genius!

CLuv

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2007
Northern VA, USA
Awesome! I planned to keep my '06 Jetta, but this might change my decision. A GLI or a 3.6 liter Passat is looking better after hearing this today. In regards to quality, I've had no issues with my VW. Even after someone hit me 4 days after buying it new off the lot. Doh! They've stepped up their quality in the past model year. Best car I've had so far, and yes I've been an owner of a Honda before.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
is this actually referring to a car or simply an integrated computer system for your car?

slackintosh

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2006
the megaform
I've always thought that VW and Mac owners were cut from the same cloth so to speak. An attention to detail, ergonomics and aesthetic seem to run along parallell lines between the companies....

I wonder if it's got anything to do with this;

from a VW press release regarding this years Frankfurt Auto Show...

"And if all that's not enough: Volkswagen will respond to the official motto of this year's IAA - "see what's driving tomorrow" - with a prototype. The heart of this sensationally flexible City Expert will beat where the flat-four "Boxer" engine once did in the Beetle."

dogtanian

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Bournemouth, UK
The question in my mind is: can VW improve the quality of their cars to make it a worthy purchase? Consumer Reports has lately been showing VW and Audi and others towards the bottom of the quality list. :eek:

I'd rather a German car than an American one :p In fact i'd rather have a Japanese one....which I do. Toyota Aygo. Don't think any current small VW offerings are particularly exciting, its always the Japs making fun cars. (The mini aint 'fun' or 'quirky' anymore...

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I'm about to get rid of a 2000 Passat that has had no end of problems. Every time we take it in for a routine oil change, inspection, or whatever, we end up with a $700-plus repair bill. The killer was the most recent one: the check engine light came on, and the repair shop says it's a $2500 replacement of the catalytic converters. Within the next couple weeks I'll be buying a Toyota or Honda.

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
It won't have a steering wheel, just a really big click wheel so you can steer with one finger.

The gear changes will be controlled by a scroll ball identical to the mighty mouse's and the handbrake will be a Hold switch.

Available in white for $9.999 or black for $11,999 with either glossy or matte windows.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Within the next couple weeks I'll be buying a Toyota or Honda.

I'd recommend a Toyota.. I payed $27,000 for an Acura and while it was beautiful and easy to maintain.. it rattled like a freaking chandelier!

My 96 toyota 4x5 truck with 186,000 miles still doesn't sound as noisey as that 2004 TSX with 20,000 miles.

Buy Toyota.

As for the whole iCar thing.. I'm kind of getting iTired of this iS**t.

jonharris200

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
London, UK
It won't have a steering wheel, just a really big click wheel so you can steer with one finger.

The gear changes will be controlled by a scroll ball identical to the mighty mouse's and the handbrake will be a Hold switch.

Available in white for $9.999 or black for $11,999 with either glossy or matte windows.
And built-in Google Maps, obviously...

kkachurak

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, FL
I'm about to get rid of a 2000 Passat that has had no end of problems. Every time we take it in for a routine oil change, inspection, or whatever, we end up with a $700-plus repair bill. The killer was the most recent one: the check engine light came on, and the repair shop says it's a $2500 replacement of the catalytic converters. Within the next couple weeks I'll be buying a Toyota or Honda.

That ain't a problem with your car. That's a problem with your mechanic.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
Awesome! I planned to keep my '06 Jetta, but this might change my decision. A GLI or a 3.6 liter Passat is looking better after hearing this today. In regards to quality, I've had no issues with my VW. Even after someone hit me 4 days after buying it new off the lot. Doh! They've stepped up their quality in the past model year. Best car I've had so far, and yes I've been an owner of a Honda before.

I was going to make a joke about this very same thing (holding onto a car a little bit longer to get the next generation) but then the newbie said it, and now my joke is ruined. I think we should ban him.

No one ruins my jokes and gets away with it.

-Clive

pocketrockets

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2006
I've always thought that VW and Mac owners were cut from the same cloth so to speak. An attention to detail, ergonomics and aesthetic seem to run along parallell lines between the companies....

Oh hell no! You are so wrong. VW is like the Gateway of cars. Toyota is more like the Apple, but even that's really stretching it. Toyota's hybrid technology is so advanced ma and pa repair shop will touch it.

Nintendo, on the other hand, is the closest company in philosophy to Apple.

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
iCar = electronic integration

My speculation is that this has to do with integrating the rest of the iPhone/iPod function into the car's electronic system as seamlessly as phone contact's via Bluetooth.

For example here are some other services I could see in iCar:
* Sync contact phone numbers and make calls with steering wheel buttons
* Sync contact addresses for the Navigation system
* iPod controls of the iPod via the steering wheel buttons
* View SMS messages, emails, web-browsing when the car is stopped
* Use google's maps and traffic for the naviagation system
* Integrate the car's GPS system with the iPod's/iPhone's google maps
* Sync with iTunes wirelessly while the car is parked in the garage :)

Papajohn56

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2005
rrrrrrrrrrrright... thats why they're europe's largest auto manufacturer, and the 3rd or 4th largest auto manufacturer in the world. :rolleyes:

Well duh, there's a lot of girls and homos in europe ;) kidding of course.

VW is a crappy car overall lately, I wish Apple would cooperate with someone a bit better. Though VW does have a big appeal to hipsters/yuppies, so I can see where apple's going (except Apple appeals to those people and makes a GOOD product..)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.