Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
What a remarkable LITTLE engine. :eek:

Both super and turbo charged (just like the legendary Lancia Delta S4) 177lb ft of torque (148lb ft available from 1250rpm), 168bhp (120bhp per litre), 136mph, 7.9 to 60mph a combined 39.2mpg and all from 1.4 litres.

What a remarkable LITTLE engine. :eek:

Rinky dink link

Thoughts?

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Tis the future. Nice specks for such a little engine.

My parents should have their 2006 compliance plates Golf GT in 4 months :rolleyes:

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
My only worry is that it's quite a complicated system. Of course it should be easy enough to get more power by upping the boost which is always fun :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It sounds great, but extremely expensive.

VW abandoned complicated 4 cylinders a while back because of the cost. Would they actually embrace them full on, going much further than in the past?

In any case, a little more push with a little more economy would be a great thing and it all seems to be there. I'll wait a few years to try it, though, to see what quality quirks have done to it.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Abstract said:
So it probably costs heaps more money, and it'll get you sliiiightly better mileage and power?

Yes it'll cost more than a normal 1.4, but it'll probably cost less than a 2.0 which it's faster than and provides better MPG.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
robbieduncan said:
Yes it'll cost more than a normal 1.4, but it'll probably cost less than a 2.0 which it's faster than and provides better MPG.

Perhaps, but maintenance is likely to be high. My Corrado G60 was only slightly higher than normal but that was an 8 valve 4 cylinder. In the U.S.A., that's the one thing that holds VW back. The maintenance is too much like the high marque German brands instead of Toyota or Honda.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
bousozoku said:
Perhaps, but maintenance is likely to be high. My Corrado G60 was only slightly higher than normal but that was an 8 valve 4 cylinder. In the U.S.A., that's the one thing that holds VW back. The maintenance is too much like the high marque German brands instead of Toyota or Honda.

I don't think that the US is the primary market for this! VW sell more Golfs than I can count in Europe. These will be popular here.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
robbieduncan said:
I don't think that the US is the primary market for this! VW sell more Golfs than I can count in Europe. These will be popular here.

I don't think where it's sold will make the maintenance any cheaper. The fact that the U.S.A. isn't a primary market won't change that at all. Parts are parts.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Very cool. and VW, PLEASE bring this engine to the USA, I'm tired of getting sloppy seconds from import automakers.

I remember an article from Sport Compact Car a few years back where a guy turbo-supercharged his 1986 Toyta MR2. It was a real slap-together job but it worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.