Volkswagen Owners?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rockandrule, Jan 6, 2006.

1. rockandrule macrumors 6502

Hey everyone,
    Who else is a VW owner? If you've got one, what is it?

98 Jetta. 2.0L w/ 5 speed, TT chip, flowmaster cat-back, GT smoked tails, hella smoked side markers, and smoked dummies.

Unfortunately this is all that will be thrown on there now. I just had my AC blow a couple months ago and I need a new paint job.

Anyways, post pics if you have them!

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm on my 4th, a 1999 VW Golf GLS and the only real modification would be the Eibach set of springs.

Of course, you could consider the shattered passenger side mirror a modification or the discoloured sidemarker lenses or the knackered headlight covers. :D

Didn't I pass you on the road last week when I was returning from Christmas? :p

3. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Well my mom had I think a 1990 VW Golf convertable in red:cool: Now my sis has a 2005 silver jetta.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I used to have a 1971 cream Beetle.

Lovely but infuriating little car. Had the engine reconditioned on it and it was a sparky little number for the time (1985). Many memorable trips in New Zealand with it.

I like the new ones, wish I could afford to keep one in London now.

5. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Did you drive it all the way to England? :D

One of the memorable adverts was the Beetle in the middle of a lake, floating.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

In a way, yes.

Sold it on which paid for part of the airfare... wasn't that sorry to see it go. The floorpans were starting to rust badly and the electrics were getting a little unreliable.

But it was a fun little runabout for a while and even managed some longer slightly hair-raising trips up the North Island. Napier to Taupo in 1985 was still loose gravel in many places and a bit scary in an old VW...

8. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

880 2.4D T4. Absolutely brilliant to drive, just like a car.

Attached Files:

9. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I used to drive a '55 VW bug, but I gave it to my little brother. He decided never to add any oil and blew it up. Have many fond memories of driving that old car.

I gave up on VWs because I decided it was more important to drive a car that could actual stay on the road in a wind over 20 mph. ;)

10. iGav macrumors G3

I had a VW 1300 back in the day, great fun hustling it down country lanes... :) edgy, that's the word I'm thinking of. :D

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

2002 Golf TDI

It doesn't exactly go like stink, but it stinks when it goes.

Modifications are simple. European headlight switch and rear fog light installed, plus a very OEM-looking leather steering wheel cover. (edit) Forgot about the rear interior lights which are blue LED clusters (they only come on when the doors are unlocked but are not nearly as harsh as the OEM incandescents) and my OEM rear sunshade and my badging is red "TDI" with the little Rabbit emblem next to it (my idea of a joke).

And then there's my personalised PA Nazi plates (a joke that's actually closer to the truth than I care to admit), which sound out Kdf-Wagen.

Once the warranty runs out this spring it's getting bigger injector nozzles and the ECU chip flashed to make it pump out around 130hp and 200 ft-lbs.
    And it'll still get near 50mpg.

12. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

2002 Jetta wagon with lots of problems. Window lifters broke, door leak, and a intermittent rough shift in the automatic transmission.

Going back to Honda for my next car.

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

All the good features, eh?

Everybody and I mean everybody got the broken window regulators.

14. aquajet macrumors 68020

Speaking of...I once witnessed a 1999 TDI Jetta with a few mods (injectors and higher turbo boost) outrun a 1997 GTI VR6 (stock) on a 1/8 strip. :eek: Don't recall the numbers off hand, but it was fun to watch a GTI eat a cloud of black smoke. :D

Yep, sounds like all the standard features. It'll only get better, too.

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

You can get them to do some pretty sick things with a FMIC, upgraded clutch, bigger injection pump and the aforementioned tweaks that'll I'll be doing to my car.

And if you're getting silly: bigger turbo, propane injection, NOS, etc. Then you're talking about spanking a muscle car or two. I've heard of 700+ ft.lbs possible on the V10 TDI that's in the Touareg with just a chip flash.

16. maya macrumors 68040

maya

97 Jetta III, Black, Auto :eek:

It has the sports package leather, sunroof, and cc. :)

Soon to be sold or given away for a 06 Jetta V (or maybe Golf V when released in CAN) or looking at the Subaru WRX Sedan. :D

17. aquajet macrumors 68020

There's quite a difference between those vehicles. The Jetta is a decent sedan, albeit more upscale these days; the WRX is hell on wheels :eek:

18. oreomac macrumors member

I used to have a 1967 Beetle, I've not got a 2003 VW lupo & I'm trading it in at the in of the summer to get a new beetle.

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Glad you didn't have an original Mazda RX-7 or Porsche 911. Those have really loose tails.

You didn't have a toolkit in the storage like everyone else?

Only everybody with electrically-operated windows. ;)

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

And there's the rub. Even the crank windows are affected.

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Apparently, something rubbing.

22. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

'02 Jetta VR6, all black. V6, leather, standard, sport package, Apple sticker on the back glass, of course.

No problems so far, knock on wood.

23. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I had a 1999 VW Beetle. It was awesome, but it had an accident so it's gone now, but I loved it. Best car I've ever driven.

24. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

You mean for the frequent repairs or for the added weight to keep it on the road in a stiff breeze? The trunk lid had this nasty habit of flying up when it got too windy, so along with the extra weight I needed to tie down the trunk with bungie cords so I could avoid it popping up on the freeway.

One feature I liked about the old '55 bug was the reserve tank. There was no gas gauge, just a lever on the floor you flipped with your foot when you started to run out of gas. Gave you an extra gallon of gas to get to a station. It was also one of the few cars I could push by myself. Came in useful when I had to start it by pushing the car and then jumping in to pop the clutch.

25. iGav macrumors G3

Especially in a 1980's Turbo form... :eek:

The Beetle just lacks plain mechanical grip... takes commitment to hustle one, but it's massively rewarding when you do. 3rd 50-60, tight and twisty lane... far more engaging than ANY Mini. :)