Volunteer Project: Macpedia

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tweedy7736, Jul 31, 2006.

1. tweedy7736 macrumors newbie

I'd like to announce a new project, called Macpedia. As the name suggests, the idea is to create a central repository for a lot of the Mac/Apple content that is spread throughout the web (and that is sadly disappearing at an alarming rate). The project works on the DMOZ editor model, meaning that you apply to edit a category and your level of permissions grows along with experience at the project. Right now, however, since we're trying to build a content base you have the chance to get in on some high-level categories.

The idea is that by harnessing the power of volunteer Mac enthusiasts, we can create a web site with both the depth of information found at smaller web sites and the breadth of content that you see at the larger ones. A central part of the project's mission is also to help preserve information about older Apple technologies (Newton, Lisa, etc.) where web resources are becoming more and more scarce.

The project differs in structure from a wiki-venture in that it is based on a category hierarchy instead of a search-and-link philosophy. As mentioned before, the editing system is a little different in that users are granted permission to edit in categories instead of everyone having free roam of the entire project. Although Wikipedia may have enough users to have "revert police", this model is suited to smaller projects by better ensuring quality content.

To check it out (and to join up!), visit http://macpedia.net/

For more information, go to http://macpedia.net/Public/About_Macpedia/

:D

2. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Fantastic idea! I'm there! I take it that you're also heavily involved with this?

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

4. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Aha, after visiting the site, I too reached that conclusion. No offense, tweedy7736,but shouldn't a site dedicated to everything about Macs have a little more finesse in the design department?

5. tweedy7736 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol! Unfortunately I'm not much of a graphic designer. I can tell when something looks good but I really can't do anything in the design department. What it really needs is someone to contribute a good design/stylesheet :eek: . I encourage anyone to propose a new design. I've been mostly concerned with making the Open-Site codebase work . . .

I'm glad you're interested! Just head on over and submit an application (there won't be many rejections this early in the project ;) ). I'd love to have your participation.

And yes, I am indeed heavily involved in the project . . . I'm its founder. It was an idea I briefly threw around back in 2002 but something I haven't been keen on really devoting a lot of time to until now.

6. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Your idea: Awesome. I like the layout alot. However yes, I have to agree that it could look better...

7. tweedy7736 thread starter macrumors newbie

(and would you believe it looked even worse back in 2002? :rolleyes: )

8. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

I appreciate how you can take criticism positively :)

I've been dabbling in web design lately, so I may be able to give you a hand there. I'm not exactly sure where to apply though...I don't really want to limit myself to a specific section.

Also, have you considered using your site as a repository for all sorts of old abandonware and stuff? The Macintosh Garden used to do that, but they mysteriously disappeared a few months ago :(

9. tweedy7736 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well don't worry about where you apply—I can grant "editall" access to new users at this point, which lets you edit anywhere. Ideally, you should just pick an area that you're particlarly interested in because that's what'll show up on your profile.

And yes, I'd like to turn this into an abandonware respository as well (goes along with preserving old information), though presently I don't have code to support that. It could be done with the existing structure but I'd rather try to develop something designed specifically with that in mind.

By the way, the Mac Garden is sort of functioning still at http://mac.the-underdogs.info/ . . . evidently they lost their domain name :(

10. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

WOO-HOO! Thank you for the link! I had been mourning their 'loss' for some time now.

11. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

I second that! I can't believe they're still around! You just made my day, sir!

BTW, I just sent my application.

12. tweedy7736 thread starter macrumors newbie

13. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Wow, that was fast, haha :)