Volvo seeks permission to drink and drive

Discussion in 'Community' started by mikeyredk, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Knox Administrator

Knox

Staff Member

The interesting bit is that it's illegal to drink and drive even on private land. They're asking for permission to break this part of the law, rather than on public roads.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yep, and its probably a good idea to give them limited permission, so long as there is an emergency crew right there in case something goes amiss, but the technology that they are developing may or may not be very useful

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Volvo actively trying to protect its customers. Really surprising that Volvo would need permission to do drunk driver testing on privately owned land. The laws must really be strict in Sweden.

4. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Glad to see that Volvo is trying to protect its customers. I doubt that anyone will be at any real risk during this testing...

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

agreed. I'm sure they will do it in a very controlled envirornment.

6. Tahko macrumors regular

Knowing several Swedes IRL and their appetite for booze, some bodies would be found no matter how strictly the government controls!

"Hey Carl, that was just 3,2 promils!" "OUGNH? Bork.." "Yeah, just have a little more Flaggpunch and keep driving!" "Bork! Bork!" ;)

7. Blackstealth macrumors regular

Interesting that Volvo is looking into ways of warning drivers they're not reacting to dangers when under the influence. Whereas Saab is working on ways to stop people who've been drinking from driving to being with. I'd rather that people were stuck, unable to start their car, rather than have some computer screaming at them to pay more attention to the road.

Link > Saab Alco-key

8. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

I don't see the danger why they shouldn't be allowed. They will obviously do it in a controlled environtment, with everything ready if something goes wrong. But I can't see why anything dangerous would happen, as Volvo must be sure that this new technology works, as they want it to be tested.

::20ROGERSC::

9. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

If people weren't supposed to drink and drive, manufacturer' wouldn't put so many cup holders in cars.

10. Linkjeniero macrumors 6502

And I suppose the cigarette lighter is for the blunt? :rolleyes:

11. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Is it bad that I want mandatory breathalyzers in every car?
    that'd be awesome.

If you don't pass, you can't turn on the car for an hour. (so you can't go into the bar, find a sober person, have them breathe into it 3 minutes later)

Mmmm... fewer deaths due to drunk driving.. Awesome

12. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

interesting... wondering what they're trying to develop exactly...

i mean, i see plenty of sober people driving on the roads who sure do ACT like they're drunk... whats this system of theirs going to do?

13. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Wait till the soccer moms involved with MADD (mothers against drunk driving) find out that the company that makes their Volvo wagons also wants to have drunk drivers testing their cars. haha