Discussion in 'Community' started by EJBasile, Jun 27, 2005.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    Me and so people at work were talking about the word "Volvo".
    Some people say it like "Valvo" and other people say it like "Vulvo"- anyone know if there is a correct way of saying it. "Vulvo" seems to make more sense to me even though a lot of the time I just say "Valvo".

This is probably the most random thread.

On a side note I think volvo really needs to redesign the S60 and the S80 sedan. I drove throught the dealership today and I realized how old looking they are even when they're (correct spelling!!) brand new. They're nice cars (a tad loud IMO) but I think they need a little modernization.
  2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
  3. roadapple macrumors regular

Oct 21, 2004
    I think that s60 is a sweet ride. If I had a family and the like, I could do worse then that.

Vol-Vo is how I say it...
  4. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    Volvo, like Doll, but with Vol. vo, like Bo.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    IIRC, the Volvo people from Sweden I met when I was at Ford used to say it slightly more like Vole (rhymes with mole) vo (rhymes with bow). But I'm not sure anymore.

I kind of agree on the S80 and to a lesser extent, the S60. The S80 did a great job of ushering in the new corporate direction for looks at Volvo. It brought about the S60, which at the time of its debut, was heralded as a good looking car, and the XC90, which has been noted as one of the better looking Euro SUVs. But the S80 itself is really a vehicle lost in the middle of nowhere. I'd like to see more of the sort of flowing lines interior ideas. The waterfall centerstack with open space behind it was a neat idea. The S80 is hard because it's so big, that it either needs to have a very imposing, towerlike stance, or it needs a design that masks how big it is. Otherwise it seems like a lumbering giant, and when you look up close at the pieces, they seem grotesque.

I haven't driven an S40 yet, though. Seeing as how that and the Mazda3 are as close as the US is going to get to the C1 Focus for the time being, though...mmmm....
  6. Daveway macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    You nympho. :D
  7. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    Volvo backwards is Ovlov. How would you pronounce Ovlov?

There you go.

I can't believe I just made this thread even worse ...
  8. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    They always say "Vole-vo" on the advertisements. But it seems most people say "val-vo"

Yea the S60 is not too bad looking but if you compare it to similar cars in its price range all the others look much sportier. I do like how the S60 does have Turbo Charged engines which I think only come in VWs, Saabs, and Subarus(?) (in the price range). The S80 reminds me of a Buick quite honestly, maybe a little more sporty but again it just looks like a car for an old person (no offence). For the Price of the S80 the interrior is not as nice as I would have expected.
  9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Trust me, the S80 has NOTHING on the Buick LeSabre for being an old person car. My parents bought one about a year ago :( I tried ever so hard for them to look at a Subaru. But no, it was "too small" (quoth my mother) in the back seat, which she never even sat in...
    Of course, a few months later, they bought a Rendezvous. At least my father will admit that it's ugly. He wanted a Liberty anyway...

Oh, I say "Vaul-voe", like a normal person (except Swedes, it's their word anyway :p)
  10. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    hm i speak it out "vol-vo" or better "wol-wo" (at least i've never heard it different in german tv etc.) and i hope that's right since i have no idea how to pronounce latin exactly
  11. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Jan 27, 2005
    I, and all ppl i know, pronounce it vol (like not) vo (like mole).

I sold my 1991 940GLE Break (2.4 TD) a year ago. I die a little every time i see one driving around. Damn great car. And so good looking, serious.
  12. efoto macrumors 68030

Nov 16, 2004
    Cloud 9 (-6)
    A little Volvo history courtesy of Wikipedia.

According to Google (since Dictionary.com and MerriamWebster online didn't have the entry) Volvo is pronounced Wul-woh as the letter "V" is given the w-sound in Latin, however in common speech the company pronounces its name like this: Vuhl-voh
    (frequent mispronunciations: vol-voh, vall-voh, voh-voh)

Edit: According to swedespeed.com forums :) :
    which he states is the inspiration for the company name.
  13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I pronounce it Vol (sounds like "mole") vo (sounds like "go").

My parents have an S70, and its a wonderful car. It drives great, but since I don't have the decades of driving experience like many of you seem to have (I'm 25 and have driven for 8 years), it has always been great......at the time. At the time, it was comparable to other cars in its class. Right now, I don't know if the S60 stacks up to cars in its class. However, its not a bad car if you don't try everything out first. But if you've been driving nice cars your entire life, Volvo may not meet your expectations compared to cars in its price range.

I don't know any better, so its okay. I like'em :)
  14. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2002
    The Netherlands

:D :D :D

Love it when a portuguese bad word doesn't get filtrated!
  15. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    yeah i read that up as well so i think the o in the first one is more correct because of the latin.. (i never heard wuhl-wo not even in their own commercials.. on the other side Deutsche Bank is proouced always wrong even in their own US commercials)

but it's not as often misspronouced as Iulius Caesar ;)
  16. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc

VULLVO is how it sounds when i say it. i think.

i miss my old 740...
  17. Otto Rehhagel macrumors regular

Otto Rehhagel

Jan 21, 2005

My first car was a cream colored volvo 240 DL. I used to love those commercials where they would drive a Volvo off a building and have it smash to the pavement below just to demonstrate how it was a tank.
  18. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

Apr 27, 2005
    Accoville, WV
    Yeah, that's the way I pronounce it.
  19. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Apr 10, 2003
    The "Garden" state

is "vulva" a curse in portugese? in english it's a medical term relating to part of the female anatomy.
  20. efoto macrumors 68030

Nov 16, 2004
    Cloud 9 (-6)
    Well I was going to link to Wikipedia's findings on "vulva" however based on the picture I won't, it isn't exactly work-safe. Being in an encyclopedia site it wasn't blocked by our filter, but it still isn't a work pic fyi.

But other than the pic, you can head to wikipedia and read up on the vulva and all its glory :D :rolleyes:, haha, youth be ware, you have hence been warned, navigate with a parent or only after the "Birds and Bees" discussion.

The picture is of the bolded words, take care if you go, but I'm not suggesting or linking....for fear of the wrath!
  21. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Vol vo is how I pronounce it, same way it done at the dealership also. My wife is a visiting nurse and so her car is her office. She's been leasing a S60 for two years. Love's the car, the seats have great orthopedic support. Especially when spending a lot of time in the car. She is currently looking to lease another Volvo. Can't beat the feeling of safety.