Vonage and Voice over IP question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sethypoo, Jan 13, 2005.

1. sethypoo macrumors 68000

I'm interested in getting Vonage or a similar VoIP service. I have a few questions though:

1. Does VoIP work with a "low end" broadband connection (ie- I don't have the fastest download speed available)?
    2. While I am talking on VoIP, will my internet connection lag significantly since I have a low end connection?
    3. Does the VoIP box you plug into your broadband modem work with a router? I need to have both the VoIP box and an Airport Express plugged into a router, which will be plugged into the broadband modem.

Thank you!
    Seth

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I've used Vonage for about 1 year now. It should work on any reasonable broadband connection, but if you're really strapped there's a setting to save bandwidth requirements. I'm on cable, and the only time I get any problems is if I'm uploading files. Most broadband services have a reduced upload bandwidth so any bittorrent or FTP uploads affect the outgoing voice quality. File downloads and surfing haven't affected me at all, but your mileage may vary depending on how low end your service is.

There are several options for the VoIP box (Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA)). You can get them integrate into a router, or as a seperate box which plugs into an existing router. If you order from Vonage you will likely get a combined Linksys Router/ATA. If you go to Best Buy or CompUSA you can buy seperate units. My advice is to stay clear of the Motorola ATAs and go with the Linksys PAP2. If you head over to Vonage Forum you will see that most issues have tended to be with the Moto box, so you have been warned :)

Being as you can move the ATA from place to place, the best thing to do is find someone you know who has Vonage and get them to bring their box over and plug it into your router. Then you can try before you buy and make sure it works the way you want it to.

Good luck