Vonage Launches iPhone App for Free Calls to Facebook Friends

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 4, 2010.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Vonage and Facebook today launched a new calling program that allows users to call their Facebook friends for free. In order to participate in the program, users must have either the new Vonage Mobile for Facebook application for iOS or Android installed.

Once the app is downloaded, users can sign in with their Facebook account and see a list of their Facebook friends they can call for free, as well as other users they can chat with via IM.
    Users can also take advantage of the app's chat capabilities or the program's Facebook page to easily invite their friends to download the application to allow for free calling.

Article Link: Vonage Launches iPhone App for Free Calls to Facebook Friends

2. macrumors 6502

Or you could just use Skype :rolleyes:

3. macrumors 68000

I know like 2 people that have Skype and zero that actually keep it turned on to get calls. Nearly everyone I know is on Facebook. I have voyage so this works for me. But the catch I'm sure is that it will use my Vonage minutes, of which we only get 500 I think.

4. macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

I agree with this statement. Even though I really like skype I don't really know too many people who are currently using it. This was a great idea by Vonage to create app that will allow Facebook users to call each other. It also will give Vonage more exposure.

5. macrumors member

cdp1276

Also agree smart move by Vonage. I have had their service since very early on and have been very happy with it. Them creating a free way to extend capabilities is great!!!

6. macrumors member

I don't think you need a Vonage account to make calls. I can't get in touch with my FB friends that have iPhones/Android to try this but the IM feature works

7. macrumors newbie

tested it 2 friends over 3G, worked beautifully and neither were vonage customers

8. macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Very cool. While you could just use Skype, I only have a few Sykpe friends. The rest are all on facebook. BUT not all of them have an iOS device or Android device.

9. macrumors newbie

too much FBook intrusion by Vonage

I was setting up this app & decided not to when I got to the page requesting access to my FBook friends info & permission to post to my wall..

10. macrumors 6502

How would they be able to call your friends without knowing who they are? It's pretty standard for Facebook integration.

11. macrumors 68000

Well, it's crap. Same concept as Skype. Someone on other end has to have a Vonage app AND a FB acct. Its ridiculous, really.

12. macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Further proof that wireless companies are going to stop with minute plans eventually and move to data only. For smartphones at very least.

13. macrumors 68020

spillproof

So why am I paying AT&T $60 per month for minutes I never use thanks to free mobile to mobile?

I think it is time to get rid of the whole minutes thing.

14. macrumors regular

This is really not that great. So I'm using data in stead of minutes? I think I know which one I value more...

International calls, sure, but for day-to-day usage not so much.

15. macrumors G5

nagromme

Or Skype users could just use this :rolleyes:

Or whatever service people want to use :)

16. macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

If you're like me, with unlimited data, this IS a good thing.

17. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Because not everyone only talks to people on AT&T. My friends are way smarter.

18. macrumors 6502

L O L (and I never use that expression) :D

19. macrumors regular

It'd be a bit more handy if they made the app work on desktop computers, as you are restricted to calling friends who use an iDevice or Android device AND use Vonage and are signed in to facebook. That rules out just about everybody.
    If they had an fb app that lets you recieve/make calls from your desktop, that'd open up the number of people you can call.

At least you can IM someone to say "get on Vonage!!"

20. macrumors member

No, you don't have to be a Vonage person. All you need is a FB account and the Vonage app on your phone. I agree it would be call to do desktop calls as well, however the always on functionality is pretty nifty.

21. macrumors regular

Are you saying that if you have Vonage on your phone, you can call anybody who is your friend on facebook regardless whether they have the app?

I'm confused :confused:

22. macrumors member

How do you do free Skype mobile to mobile calls? Me and my wife have it but it said I needed credit.

23. macrumors 68000

It's too bad there isn't an easy way to establish a voice connection with other people. If only there were a way to call someone without both parties needing to be logged into the same service at the same time.

There needs to be some kind of universal network that's "always on" - where everyone is just identified with a 10 digit number or something like that.

I heard there's an iPhone app called "Phone" that's supposed to be something like this, but I haven't tried it yet.

24. macrumors member

Here is a video explaining how to do it.
    You don't need credit to make a Skype to Skype call, only Skype to a phone number.

25. macrumors member

Only if they have the app on their phone as well. If they are just on the web page on their home computer, then you can IM chat with them, but not voice call. Its all on the video that you can see on their web page.