1. clykins90 macrumors regular

clykins90

Does anybody here know if I can use the vonage service with my Airport Express? I already have a DSL modem hooked up to the Ethernet port. I want to switch, but i would rather not buy another router!

2. clykins90 thread starter macrumors regular

clykins90

anybody know? Does anybody know where I might be able to find an answer?

3. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

From what I know, you're going to need a Vonage phone adapter. The Airport Express unit won't work by itself. If you order the service directly from Vonage, however, they'll send you a free phone adapter, otherwise you'll have to buy one at a retail store. But after rebate(s), it should also be free.

4. MagnaPalam macrumors newbie

MagnaPalam

Another thing is, if you have DSL, it might create complications for you considering you since you recieve your internet throught the phone company.

I have cable broadband internet, and I currently have vonage. I am very happy with my service that I get. I remember all kinds of warnings when reading about it, about having DSL service, but since it didn't apply to me, I disregarded it.

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

good point--you need phone service to even get dsl, so why get broadband phone over your dsl? :confused:

6. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Well, if you constantly make long distance calls (U.S. and Canada) their $24.99 plan allows you to make unlimited long distance calls.

But I see you're point.

7. clykins90 thread starter macrumors regular

clykins90

This is a little off topic, but are some cable modems better than others? We have an old rca cable modem that we used to use (its about 2-3 years old). Would we have a better connection with a newer modem?

8. vistago macrumors newbie

With an airport express, your only real option is to plug the DSL into the Vonage adapter, and then plug your express into the vonage adaptor:

DSL > Vonage Adaptor > Airport Express

They actually recommend that you do this so that the vonage thingy can control the bandwidth that it needs to make phone calls. There is a description of this setup here.

9. Paladin macrumors member

This is as close as I can get to answering your question. I have a Vonage adapter plugged into my AirPort Express, and it works very well. However, the AirPort Express is sharing the connection via WDS from my AirPort Extreme base station. The calls sound great. Unfortunately, you must have another router (perhaps another AirPort Express) to share the internet connection.