Vote Democrat, Vote Terrorist??

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by gauchogolfer, Oct 19, 2006.

1. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

CNN Story

Reading between the lines here (only a little, it seems blatant to me), it looks like the military (Pentagon, thus White House) is saying that the insurgents in Baghdad would like to have a change in power in the US administration. Thus, a vote for a Democrat is a vote for the insurgents :mad: :mad: .

This got me mad, and I'm wondering if I'm overreacting to what I'm reading.

2. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

this is plainly ridiculous.
    if anyone watched frontline on the "Year Lost" it would show how badly the republicans botched the post war period.

Bush jr has done such a bad job, unfortunately, it will screw the party badly and make it restructure.

to be honest it isnt a bad thing, because the republicans are now overtaken by the religious right who believe they have the exclusivity on morality.

Don't get me wrong, i am republican, but i am a northeast republican who is pro-choice and really cares most about the economy taking a beating.

the majority of republicans in congress/senate have proven remarkably focused on the wrong things. We are in a trade war, yet all they care about is abortion, school prayer, censorship, war, invasion of citizens privacy and the continual decline of rights from more and more invasive government.

So what do i say? let the democrats take possession of congress, make it about 50/50 in each house. then lets see if the middle ground can make some progress. Enough with the polarization of america. Let moderates and centrists rule. Non of this stupid right wing stuff, nor leftist clinton class warfare.

3. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Set aside, for a moment, what the administration's take on this is.

Do you believe that the recent increase in the level of violence (on the part of the insurgents) is in any way related to the fact that mid-term elections are coming up?

4. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I'm slightly confused by the point of your question. Let's examine the possible answers.

Every time there has been a threat in the past it has resulted in an upswing for the GOP in the polls since they (for some strange reason) are viewed as being stronger on terrorism. Thus the increase in violence would drive more voters to the GOP. This tells me that the terrorists are trying to keep the GOP in power and since we don't want to give the terrorists anything they want we should all vote Democrat.

Well if the terrorists are not concerned with our election then it doesn't matter who we vote for. Given how well things have been going for the last 3+ years I think it's time to try putting some checks on the administration in order to force compromise and discussion of the issues to hopefully improve our current strategy. Once again, vote for the Democrats.

This would mean that the terrorist have paid no attention to the correlation between violence and the effect it has on our elections, therefore they are stupid and we've been in a 3+ year war with a stupid enemy and can't seem to find our way out. It's definitely time to change things up. Once again put the Democrats in.

Personally I lean towards the second option in that the violence is unrelated to the election and the terrorists could care less who controls congress. If this were a presidential election I might be more inclined to believe they were trying to influence it. But the best way to help the Democrats would not be increasing the attacks.

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Not particularly. Violence in Iraq has tended to spike this time of year due (I would think) to the enflamed passions around the holy month. But the violence has been growing steadily for months as well. It is a civil war, after all. No one who is serious is denying that. The administration is, just as they denied eary on that there was an insurgency, but their point of view is not connected in any way to reality.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I think they do, the terrorists want to scare american people to vote republican and keep current GOP power so American can be trapped longer in iraq, give iran, NK and Al-Queada more time to prepare and develope other plans.

7. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

It wasn't a rhetorical question, if that's what you're implying. I was asking the OP if he believes that there is in fact a link (i.e. that the insurgents are in fact stepping up the violence in an effort to influence the mid-term elections).

8. gauchogolfer thread starter macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I suppose I don't really think they are trying to influence the elections with the upswing in violence. In my opinion, they are just getting better at fighting us and causing more damage. While Ramadan can also be considered a factor, I think mainly there are more acts of violence simply because they don't like us and are fighting more effectively.

9. Desertrat macrumors newbie

It seems to me that there is quite a difference between the thinking of "the terrorists" who are doing the IEDs, and the upper leadership of such groups as Al Qaida or the governments of Iran and Syria with their sponsorship of terrorist groups.

Never believe that such as OBL or the political leaders are not aware of the nuances of politics. They're damned good chess players, and so far have shown themselves to be superior to us. Or the French, or the Israelis, or...

They are fully aware of the newsworthiness of any of their planned events, or of either a lessening or increasing of activities--and of the effects on our public attitudes.

I don't care who replaces Bush; whomever it is will have a rough time against those folks, whether it's an ongoing military effort or some sort of political solution.

'Rat

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I think the voting machines are all rigged anyways, here in S.C. after checking the voting commision FAQs they state the machines have been tested by other states yet they never say what state nor who tested them? nor the results? I think we are going to be scammed this next election by those who OK'd these machines. They can be programmed to come up with any number the corrupt politicians want.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Regardless of whether the insurgents are trying to affect US elections or not, only one US party has made a campaign staple out of telling the public that if we choose the opposition party we risk being hit by terrorists.

12. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Hack the vote. Better that the Hack is done by an anonymous group of "cyberterrorist" pranksters who choose to elect (say) George Carlin president by way of a self-propogating date-triggered virus than allow any hanky panky to go unchallenged. If the Hacker community sits this one out after forcing the DOD to tighten their security for thirty years running I'll be very dissapointed in all of them.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm thinking this will backfire. They've tried this before, and things are worse than ever in Iraq. More and more people are leaning to the Dems, and to hear such things from the neocons only speaks to their base, insulting those who want change. Saying we want terrorism to gt worse when we actually want things to get better and see that the Reps can't deliver makes it smell of desperation. People (especially Americans, we have that fighting spirit and all) can only live in fear for so long before they grow to despise those keeping them in fear. If the gov is so good at fighting those terrorists, why are we still afraid.

Of course, that's logic and all, which doesn't always come into play here, so I could be wrong.

14. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Good question, should be asked more. Might even be nice to find out why, despite everything they are supposedly doing to protect us, has the terror alert level rarely, if ever, been below level yellow?

15. Desertrat macrumors newbie

True, mac. I guess my problem is that I don't pay any attention to that sort of rhetoric. I'd rather look at voting records, insofar as incumbents. Challengers? Well, most of them have some sort of political history to check out.

The mouth-music from both sides mostly just makes me want to throw up, to be as polite as I can about it...

'Rat

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its almost funny and kind of sad. Bin Laden and the majority of his 911 murderers were Saudi they were not Iraqi. This little tiny fact has escaped Bush,Cheney,Rove,Hastert and almost all of Congress who voted to be Hero's going into Iraq. Did the fact that the Bush family had such close ties to the Saudi elite have anything to do with attacking the wrong country? I can only wonder how many people Bush has encouraged to become Terrorist,Insurgents,Jihad Fighters, and whatever label he is using today with this 1 decision. What would Jesus have done Mr Bush? Voting Democrat maybe voting against this mindless reasoning.

17. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

If there is a thread on this already, I'm sorry. Not been around in a while.

Your title to this thread reminded me of this video. www.gop.com These Are The Stakes. Just like that LBJ ad back in the 60's. Disgusting...

18. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Holy crap. Please tell me that's a joke website.

19. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Nope. I saw that this morning, and it's supposed to be the latest released ad the GOP is putting out. Talk about a platform built on fear. It's worse than the All State Insurance ads. Those who are putting their trust in this administration's policies are not in good hands.

P.S. Those are All State Insurance ads with the car wrecks, right? I turn it off before it's over, but I think that's it.

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's very bad form for the military to be this openly partisan. Very dangerous situations arise when the military is allowed to become a political force in any state.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I hear that the nationwide GOP ad buy on this supposed "blockbuster" of an ad was something along the lines of $20,000. Peanuts. Sounds like they're hoping for the media to obligingly pick this up and run it for them, Swift Boat style.