VOTE NO ON #3

Discussion in 'Community' started by slooksterPSV, Sep 20, 2004.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

2. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

3. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

Regardless of your feelings on the subject of gay marriage, you can bet your bottom dollar that it will never be banned by the US Constitution. To argue one way or the other is a waste of breath.

In the short term, those on both sides should focus completely on the battle in the individual states.

In the long term, it will be a national issue, but it will be the Supreme Court ruling if states have the authority to allow or disallow gay marriage.

That's the view from where I sit.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Very nice cause. The pro-amendment people are way too well funded and organized. We're sort of scrambling to keep up, scattered across numerous organizations like HRC, PFLAG, and Lambda Legal. They can definitely use funds... While true that these individual amendments don't mean much in the long-run, as most people seem to realize in 100 years gay marriage will be a non-issue, it still makes it a lot harder on people today. Just because we're assured eventual victory doesn't mean we shouldn't still fight.

In related news, i'm scratching New Orleans off of my list of places I might like to live one day.

paul

5. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I agree, the Constitutional Amendment would never work, whether you agree or not. There are enough states to shoot it down even if Congress were to get the 2/3 majority.

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yeah, but we're talking state here. I think 4 or 5 states now have constitutional amendments against gay marriage, another 14 or so have the issue on the docket. This particular link is for Utah. An amendment passed in Louisiana just the other day. So even if a national amendment will fail, we'll still have these pockets of discrimination to deal with in the future, and it'd be a lot easier to use preventative measures...

paul

7. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Well, no matter what I think everyone should help in someway if they believe that it shouldn't be amended. If I can find out the other websites to the other states then I'll help out how ever I can. Tomorrow me and my friend Samantha are going to go get signatures on petitions and send them in. Lets hope they do not amend it.

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

these amendments make me sick... why can't people just live and let live? Why do they care so freaking much what other people do? If two men or two women get married, it's not hurting you, what's the damn big deal?? :mad: I tell ya, it's things like this that make me such an angry person...

9. dotnina macrumors 6502a

I think this probably belongs in the Political section? :confused:

Anyway, I agree that we'll never see an amendment banning gay marriage in the consitution. They started to go down that road and it flopped. Quickly.