Vote on a Banner Design

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Mr. Anderson, Feb 16, 2004.

?

Which Banner Should We Use

Poll closed Feb 18, 2004.
  1. Helix Design

40 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Mad Cow

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. Something different

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Here are the current banner designs.

There has been a lot of discussion on what to use as a banner - so in order to get the ball rolling again and get something finished we're doing a poll.

The mouse over the top one to change the colors. And the Mad Cow animation will be smoothed out and expanded if chosen.

www.gone3d.com/mr/

D

2. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    omg! a poll!

i thought i'd never see the day!

(helix, all the way. love the color changes)

3. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

WOW! Thank you! Do you have any suggestions for more colors you would like to see? I'm thinking of working on a way to load the team points on a dynamic textField, so that for example, when you are switching colors, diferent information appears. you think its a good idea, or we should just keep it as a simple banner, without changing text? I would love to hear your opinions on this.

4. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    maybe move the lines on the right around a bit, just to make it "breathe"

5. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

For the helix, we'll also need to simplify the helix itself - the file is a little larger than optimal.

D

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Have we cleared Flash banners with arn, or would these have to be output as gifs?

7. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

na, flash....there are plenty of flash banners on MacRumors these days - it shouldn't be an issue.

The interactivity might be something we'll need to deal with though - have to wait and see.

D

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you for your great work Mr. Anderson. I voted for the Helix, it is very appropriate to what we are folding. Not sure if this has been ask or mentioned, but where will the banner be used?

9. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

*something to note, I couldn't see this in Firefox, but it did show up in IE...

10. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It will be used as a banner on MacRumors to help make people aware of what we're doing and get more members involved.

Mav451 - do you have the flash plugin for firefox?

D

11. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

i went for helix, it's more catchy

great work dukestreet ;)

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm sorry Mr. Anderson, I'm still not clear where the banner will be located? Also do you think that it might be possible for each member to have a smaller version in their signature with a link to folding facts?

13. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Yeah, I just got the new plugin (7.0, i had 6.0 from last year)...still doesn't work.

This is one of those cases that i have to refer to IE (kinda like when i want to play Yahoo Pool).

14. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Banners are at the top of the forum pages and threads.....the ads are there now, this would be swapped in amongst them.

There are no images available for sigs - you can just have links. But if people want we can set it up that they can link to a page with the banner - although that really doesn't make any sense.

D

15. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

The helix banner looks great...very catchy and it should help lure some more members in. :D

Nice Job!

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would like to put my name on the list to have a link to the banner Mr. Anderson! ;)

17. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

there's no list - we'll just publish the link when its ready.

And even after the first 12 hours of voting the helix looks like the winner....so we'll go ahead and get that fixed up soon and make it official.

D

18. spinner macrumors regular

While mad cow banner is very original and quite cute I have to go with the helix banner. That thing is awesome, I love the color change.

19. maineroad macrumors newbie

Love the helix banners. Any chance of increasing the font size of the text? It is smaller than the cow banner.

20. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

I'll increase the font size. I'm very glad that so many of you are participating on this Poll. :) Keep those opinions coming! What do you think of that idea that the banner will get the points of our team, when you rollOver? There are 3 colors and we could use those 3 to display different text content:

Blue - Team Points (will get them dynamically and its updated constantly)

Green - Team Message (Marketing based! :D )

Orange - Display "Click here to Join Us!".

21. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

22. simX macrumors 6502a

simX

Wow, both of those banners are awesome. You wouldn't happen to want to make a banner for the SETI team, would you? I think we could actively promote both teams side by side and not have any problem.

(The only problem I have is that when you mouse over the helix banner while it's in the process of a color change, it restarts the color change from the beginning. Of course, it's nothing incredibly dire, but I just like everything being perfect. :) )

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The Blue color is my favorite. Could the title "MacRumors Folding Team" be brighter like it is in the Mad Cow?

How soon will this banner be up and running? Please let me know about having a link to the banner in my signature?

24. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

Will work on your suggestions! :) I'm very happy with your feedback! It still needs a little bit of debugging but I'll work on it with Mr.Anderson to improve this banner as much as possible. I'll ask Mr.Anderson to update the newest version soon. Thanks for the input!

25. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you for your great work. I'm so looking forward to using the banner. Hopefully we can have a link in our signature?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.