Vote Totals Under Inquiry in 12 Iraqi Provinces, Panel Says

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Oct 17, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

imo, the highest priority for this vote needed to be the appearance of legitimacy. any whiff of tampering will throw whatever remains of the process into an even greater tailspin.

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Look what Juan Cole has to say about the vote in some of the Sunni provinces.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Agreed. I'd even go so far as to say that whether the vote is clean or not is irrelevant. What will matter is whether the vote is seen as clean or not by the Sunni. If you cannot convince them that the vote is an accurate reflection of their desires, then the insurgency will continue unabated -- and will likely get worse as the Sunni become even more detached from the political process.

OTOH, if the vote is seen as legit, then the Sunni may be encouraged briefly to try the political route -- that is, until the actually try to amend the constitution. That IIRC, is scheduled to happen about 6 months from now, which would put it about 7 months before US congressional elections...

Or they could decide to hold hands with the Shia and toss flowers and candy at US troops.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

What, Bush can't run an election honestly, even in a foreign country?

Undoubtedly his next step will be to send Katherine Harris and Kenneth Blackwell to certify the results. :rolleyes:

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

7. tristan macrumors 6502a

The elections don't look real secure to me. Seems like it would be relatively easy for someone to manufacture a few thousand ballots. Especially if that someone is in a position of power.

Not that I mind the CIA dirty tricks all that much because I do think the referendum should pass. I just wish they were a little less obvious. :)

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Even the faintest hint of impropriety and the whole thing goes up in flames (no pun intended). They can't even cheat well. :rolleyes: I'm sure it's the liberals' fault.