Voter Registrations Possibly Trashed

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Oct 12, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. vwcruisn macrumors regular

wow... how far will they go? not surprising at all tho btw

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Wow. I've heard of some Democrats only trying to sign up Kerry supporters, but never of destroying Bush supporters registration cards. That's why I took the time to make sure I was registered to vote. This is disgusting, and very illegal. It's a Federal Crime for anyone involved to do this. Somehow I wonder if Bush gets elected if they will be prosecuted. They would have to be, if nothing else than for the appearance of fairness.

I hope these people are investigated and have to turn over all of their paperwork to authorities. I feel bad for all of those not registered, and hope they can still find a way to let them vote. If nothing else, class action suit.

4. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

as more of these stories come to light, the more post-election crisis there will be if bush "wins". i think we're heading towards a serious election crisis, which will make 2000 look tame.

5. Zaid macrumors 6502

You're right. The first thing i thought when i read this was 'banana republic'.

Now that's harsh, i know, but it is the sort of thing you read about in great democracies like Zimbabwe. It somehow doesn't inspire confidence. It also raises the question of how many other companies are doing this? (on either side?)

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Look what happened in the Afganistan elections. The results aren't even in yet and the candidates are already crying foul over how bad it was messed up. Funny how the terrorist, who we're told hate freedom, did nothing and yet it still got screwed up. They at least have an excuse, they're new at it. What's our excuse?

And they want us to use computer voting (Windows, no less) with no paper trail!?! Nice try, but I don't think so.

7. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i second that..absolutly unbelievable...god damn it ..we're talking about the USA here..

what have companies to do with voting-registration in the first place ?

here all hell would break lose if something like that would happen here (the registration thing works completly different..if you turn 18 you are automatically allowed to vote where you are living at that time..you have to inform them when changing main residence..the whole stuff is organzied in a central register ... but i don't know how it works with party candidate-elections thats only for members of the parties i think...and i'm not member of a party...like most people here)

8. Inu macrumors newbie

It is indeed interesting...

I thought it was as Takao described in every (supposed) Democracy. It sure is this way in Switzerland too.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

To us outsiders, the whole US election process is looking increasingly dishonest and ludicrously disorganized. The disenfranchisement of felons (what price "universal suffrage"?), the whole voter registration thing, the trail-less electronic voting, the many commercial fingers buried in the pie, the wholesale corruption, not to mention the gerrymandering, these things would all be unacceptable over here. Your democracy, which you seek to foist on other countries by force of arms, is a joke. The society of the spectacle has taken you over, and the rest of the world just has to hope that your plans will be sufficiently unrealistic not to come to fruition. Unfortunately, although most of the world can see it clearly, several thousand people will have to die to prove it.

10. wwworry macrumors regular

cheating in South Dakota
    you have republican cheating in Nevada - linked above
    cheating in Florida

they will stop at nothing

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

for switzerland: i have no idea ... the whole kanton system etc. looks sometimes very different from outside...in switzerland there are much more elections on issues ..aka. a mroe direct democracy...but in the last years with the right shift even in switzerland it is going away from this a little bit (not much but enough to make lots of headlines on swiss TV ;) )
    but i thinks it's more making fun of each others between the confoederatio helvetica and austria ;)

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This Republican tactic is disgusting. The obvious strategy is to suppress the vote, doing whatever it takes to keep the popular vote down. A high turnout benefits Kerry and the Democratic party in general. So the GOP will bus in the religious conservatives and put up roadblocks near black communities. Just more evidence of this administration's 'ends jusitfy the means' philosophy.

I've run across voter suppression stories in Colorado, Florida, Michigan, and now this. It makes you wonder how much of this stuff went on unreported in years past.

And somehow I can't see enough evidence being left around of any serious crime by a higher-up. Sure a few of the 'bad apples' will fry, but those who benefit from it most won't pay. Even if Kerry wins I can't see any of these prosecutions going far.

Will 'one person, one vote' ever really be true?

13. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

And these people (Rove and Co.) have the guts to say they want to export freedom and democracy!
    they should be arrested and sent to Abu Ghraib...

14. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

This is a common misconception of the rest of the world. Americans are a nation only in name. We have no coherent plan, identity or direction. Our leadership has taken 200 years to fully exploit those truths to assure that we are as divided and confused as possible.

Please understand that the bulk of this country has lived for generations much as the third world does: Isolated, insular, xenophobic and uninterested in the affairs of the outside world. The rest of us in this country can do little beyond watch in horror as the "bumpkin factor" is used time and again by professional politicians to sieze control of the political machine and hand favors to the highest bidder.

The few of us that want our goddamn country back from these elitist, facist, imperialistic, unresponsible riche nuveaux are in the unfortunate position of being too patriotic (and poor) to leave and too few to incur much change.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

that article is sickening.

thats why I registered to vote at a public library where I knew it would be done right, I just couldn't trust any of those independent groups

16. Zaid macrumors 6502

Took the words right out of my mouth.

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

And as in 2000, the people for the most part will bend over and take it. That is the sad part.

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

This is not unlike an ice hockey game.

In ice hockey, if you have talent enough, you simply play an offensive game until you're ahead by a comfortable lead and then play a little more conservatively to maintain the lead until the end of regulation.

However, if your team lacks the offensive prowess and prolific scorers, you do something else:

you play 100% defence.

It's called the neutral zone trap. The idea is to suppress the puckhandler so that he can't advance unmolested past the blue line and into the zone. A team does this by ignoring offence and committing almost every player on every line to stopping the other team from scoring.

New Jersey won two Stanley Cups by perfecting this tactic.

I think that's what the Republicans have realised: sometimes the best offence is defence.

There's also a common defensive formation called the left wing lock. I kid you not.

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Oh yeah: and this Nevada thing is ****ed up beyond belief.

But they know that in the end, people don't give a crap.

20. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

within the past hour, i heard a report on NPR news about this.

they reported that several employees of the registration firm quit after being trained how to identify voters who would vote Democratic, and how to discourage them from registering.

things got worse when two employees went to get their paychecks. it was in an office where they saw company management dumping democratic-party-only registration forms. the employee grabbed a stack from the trash, then got into a little fight w/ the manager, who managed to get the stack back.

so the employee grabbed another stack from the trash and took off. he turned them over to the TV reporter who ended up breaking the story. NPR reported the employee also contacted the FBI.

finally, NPR reported that the RNC, who hired the registration firm, vehemently denies any wrongdoing on its part.

21. takao macrumors 68040

takao

sounds like "Catenaccio" ;) a word who leads to raised fists and swearing about italy for inventing it, when mentioned to football fans...
    (combine it with "tactical fouls" and "destroy the game at all costs" ...and watch perhaps the most boring football games ending 0:0)

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Y'know, the Kerry campaign should make this subject their next commercial.

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm glad everyone is watching this time. Hopefully those who are caught are prosecuted, even if Kerry wins. Bushites must be scared to try such underhanded tactics. We're watching you Georgie boy.