Vox Music Player Launches on the Mac App Store, Free Upgrade for MacRumors Readers

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 6, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

After launching in a beta capacity earlier this year, Copportino's Vox 1.0 music player is now officially available for download from the Mac App Store. The Vox player was first released in 2007, but has since seen a major redesign and functionality overhaul.

The app, which offers a minimalistic design, is designed to be a replacement for playing music within iTunes. It supports a wide variety of audio formats like MP3, FLAC, AAC, Musepack, Ogg Vorbis, WAV, and more, plus it integrates directly with iTunes.

Vox supports a number of music sources, including network drives, external hard drives, and VPN-connected storages. Its built-in equalizer comes equipped with presets and adjustments to improve the listening experience and it also offers built-in internet radio connectivity, which is available as an in-app purchase. Here's a full list of features:
    While Vox is a free download, MacRumors has teamed up with Copportino to offer MacRumors readers exclusive free access to the premium radio feature of the app by completing these steps:

- Download the free Vox app from the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

- Open the Vox app (This also works with the beta version of the app)

- While Vox is open, click on this link to get to the unlock page.

- Enter a name and an email address and the full version of the app will be automatically unlocked.

Vox's radio feature offers access to thousands of different stations and can be accessed by switching sources just under the play controls of the app. Search is available after clicking the small search symbol also located under the play controls.

The full version of the Vox media player will be available for MacRumors readers from 9 a.m. ET to midnight ET.

Article Link: Vox Music Player Launches on the Mac App Store, Free Upgrade for MacRumors Readers
  2. macrumors 6502

Sep 12, 2009
    Beaumont, CA
  3. macrumors member

Apr 27, 2011
    Its not TRULY free...well unless you use fake email to get it.
  4. macrumors member

Apr 30, 2005
    Online Radio..only 6 stations?

Is anyone else only seeing 6 online radio stations?

The app mentions "thousands". Am I just missing it somewhere?
  5. macrumors regular

Aug 18, 2009
    click on the search icon to the right
  6. macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2011
    Thanks for that! Free is always good. I've found a weird bug though, will go and report it. Anyone know if more radio channels will be released in the future?
  7. Editor

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2012
    You can access additional stations by clicking on the search icon. It's a little hard to see, but it's under the music controls when you have the radio list pulled up.
  8. macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    For me, the app should have re-lauched and the radio feature should have been enabled but it never re-launched. Manually re-launched, you're asked to purchase that feature. If you wait, the app won't re-launch but it will have the feature enabled.

Nice little freebie.
  9. MiltonThales, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013

macrumors newbie

Jan 12, 2008
    Suwanee, GA
    Something is crashing

On my iMac (OS 10.8.4), after starting Vox, I get repeated crashes by something called

13-08-06 12:10:51.676 PM ReportCrash[74868]: com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.crashreporter.writereport.crash
    com.apple.message.signature: com.coppertino.Vox.GNTPClientService
    com.apple.message.signature2: UNBUNDLED ||| 2.0.1 (2.0.1)
    com.apple.message.signature3: 42CB73946668E432BA26286F9E6A7683
    com.apple.message.result: YES
    com.apple.message.summarize: YES

Application Specific Information:
    XPC domain creation failed: Process is not in an inherited sandbox.

so the app is unusable. But I think I got the radio part unlocked.
  10. macrumors member

Jul 12, 2010
    LOL even with your help still took me a while to find it!

I assume Vox v1.1 will come with fixes to spelling and grammatical errors.
  11. macrumors member

Sep 9, 2010
    Bristol, UK
    Same problem here.
  12. macrumors member

Jul 12, 2010
    I also have OS X 10.8.4 on an iMac, but the app is working fine for me. I know that doesn't help you fix your problem, sorry.
  13. macrumors newbie

Aug 6, 2013

Try to delete the folder Vox.app/Contents/XPCServices and everything will be working fine. We submitted the next version of Vox to the Mac App Store without this bug...
    It's a problem with communication between Vox and Growl
  14. macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2011
    Thanks for that, I found it when it was mentioned while I was posting and I read the posts up. Would you happen to know how I can add my own streams by any chance?
  15. macrumors newbie

Aug 6, 2013
    You can "Add your own streams" in Vox. Try to adding .m3u format to Vox Playlist.

We will add function "Add your own streams in Radio lists" in the future updates.
  16. macrumors 6502a

Jun 3, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I have been using this since the Beta.

Great app.

⌘ + F also brings up search
  17. Mechinyun, Aug 6, 2013

macrumors 6502

Jun 24, 2010
    On my '13 Retina macbook pro 15 inch:

VLC - uses 2.5% CPU usage playing a FLAC audio file

VOX uses 5.8+% CPU usage playing the same file.
  18. macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2012
    It's nice. I can certainly see myself using it as a simple radio player.

But I think it could really use another theme. The default UI is minimal and low-contrast to the point of being unusable (the search button cracked me up when I found it)

I'm not sure I see the point in the extreme minimalism.
  19. macrumors member

Jun 6, 2007
    I've been using this on and off since they first started doing Betas, and it's a very promising app.

The stereo crossfeed is a godsend if you're a headphones user. I personally use the Meier preset, which works well without sounding overdone like some of the branded alternatives out there.

My only wish is that they support iTunes normalization and/or replaygain.
  20. macrumors 603

Sep 7, 2006
    Texas, unfortunately.
    Aw, no Snow Leopard support. :( Oh well, suppose I don't really need another media playing app that would most likely sit on my hard drive unused anyway.:p
  21. macrumors 603

Nov 5, 2009
    same here, I think I also managed to get it unlocked, I hope

interesting, will go ahead and try that. :cool:

EDIT: This made it work, thanks dev. :) Since I see and play the radio stations I assume the unlocked was also successful while it was in crash state!
  22. macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2002
    Nice audio player great radio player

It's a really nice little application - I'll be using the radio player all the time.

Getting the ability to play a bunch of audio formats that iTunes doesn't is a great thing to have for those moments when needed.

Working great on Lion, I actually like the UI and its minimalist nature.

Thank you Coppertino and MacRumors for making this available to us.
  23. macrumors 68000

Jul 22, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Nice app, but no match for iTunes + SRS WOW 3.3.1.
  24. Prabas, Aug 6, 2013

macrumors 6502a

Sep 14, 2010
    I can't activate Radio feature :(

EDIT: Okay it worked now.
  25. macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2002
    Using Safari for clicking on the link (as soon as you click the link the radio part becomes enabled)?