Vox Music Player Updated with Redesigned Interface, Gapless Playback

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 28, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Coppertino's Vox music player today received a new update, bringing a refreshed design that displays album art and hides playback controls until needed, along with new features such as gapless playback and improved searching across devices and file locations. The update also features improved multi-device support and bug fixes addressing previous issues with radio stations and general stability.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Originally launched last August, Vox is designed to be a replacement for playing music within iTunes, and supports a wide variety of audio formats including MP3, FLAC, AAC, Musepack, Ogg Vorbis, WAV, and more. Vox can import an existing iTunes library with metadata, and also offers offers a built-in equalizer as well as internet radio connectivity, which is available as an in-app purchase.

Vox 2.0 is available in the Mac App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Vox Music Player Updated with Redesigned Interface, Gapless Playback

2. macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know what it means that Vox imports iTunes music? Does it double the space and create it's own library or does it share the library?

3. macrumors newbie

4. macrumors 6502

starbird

My question, too. Also, how does it handle iTunes in the iCloud / iTunes Match songs?

5. macrumors newbie

It just uses/scans your iTunes Library and plays the music from there. So no copies will be created.

But does anyone know if you can apply effects again? I heard that Vox had this feature but it was removed. Would be great to play my music with 432 Hz again.

6. macrumors 6502

attila

7. macrumors 6502a

iEnvy

So is it worth the download or what? Must be if MR is using this indirect ad placement.

8. macrumors member

sigma7

9. macrumors 6502a

SBlue1

Its slow. Plus it can find my Apple TV but not my Airport Express stereo. Deleted it.

10. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

11. macrumors newbie

VOX uses (share) the same library (iTunes library).

12. macrumors member

Awesome update!

But a few bugs:

My only gripe is that the animation when hovering over the player is a bit choppy on Mountain Lion but only animates when actually in the program. When a different app is the topmost app, hovering over the player does nothing. When Vox is top most, it doesn't transition to the controls immediately. There needs to be a way to disable the transition, and allow users to bring the controls from menu bar instead (I almost always have the same controls and never change them).

Song title scrolling doesn't work unless its kicked in by actually being in the app, it doesn't always display when something else is topmost.

The fading in/out between Artist and Album Title is annoying, there should be some method of control or display options, like a scrolling marquee on two lines:

Artist Name - Album Title
    Track Title

An option to turn off the scrolling would be nice too.

As far as it's design... its absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I liked version 0.2.8 for the minimalism, version 1.0 for its redesign but this slightly flatter look is absolutely PERFECT. I hope to god they don't change it, its the first time I've actually appreciated and liked a bit of a flat look. Less is more and the UI designer on this did an amazing job. THANK YOU!

----------

It can also be disabled, which is great!

13. macrumors 68030

tkermit

Feels sort of Metro-ish…rather CPU intensive unfortunately (if you look at the effect on the activity of the WindowServer and kernel_task processes)

Attached Files:

14. macrumors 65816

parish

Nice update, but a couple of minor gripes.

It's not displaying album art in the player but it is in the Dock icon :confused: The previous version did display it in the player (but just a small icon in the top left corner).

In the previous version the currently playing track was displayed in yellow/orange - title, artist, etc. - but in the version the only indication is that the track number is replaced by a small equaliser icon which makes finding the current track in large playlists a bit tricky - have to scroll through slower.

Great player though. I mainly use it for playing FLACs to save having to convert to ALAC for iTunes.

15. macrumors newbie

Can anyone help me on how to get the prefspane for using the keyboard controls to work? It's all installed as it should be, but if I try to use them nothing happens in Vox and iTunes opens.

Any ideas?

16. tkermit, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014

macrumors 68030

tkermit

Anyone else have the problem that it doesn't remember your preferences and reopens the intro animation every time you open the app?

I see the following errors turn up in the Console:
    Code:
    Vox[23810]: NSUbiquitousKeyValueStore error: com.coppertino.Vox does not have a valid com.apple.developer.ubiquity-kvstore-identifier entitlement
    syncdefaultsd[22466]: Can't register com.coppertino.Vox
    usernoted[202]: ApplePushService: entitlement check for 'com.apple.developer.aps-environment' failed for 'Vox' (23810)

I've also noticed that the iTunes library parsing would suddenly fail after a few hours of usage.

EDIT: After deleting the prefpane and app itself as well as the com.coppertino.Vox container-folder and then restarting the system, the preferences seem to stick now, although the error messages still remain.

EDIT2: Again experiencing issues with the iTunes Library functionality. Guess I'll have to live without it for the time being. It's been like this for some time and restarting the app shows no effect.

EDIT3: Deleting every file whose name starts with 'iTunesMusicSource.storedata' from ~/Library/Containers/com.coppertino.Vox/Data/Library/Application Support/Vox helped fix it this time, although I have a feeling the issue will return

Attached Files:

• vox2.jpg
      vox2.jpg
      File size:
      25.2 KB
      Views:
  17. macrumors member

How big is your itunes library?

18. macrumors 68030

tkermit

12k songs, ~200GB

19. macrumors 6502a

n-evo

Terrible interface. Guess the developers never heard of Aqua.

20. macrumors 6502

JavaTheHut

Go to The Apple System Pref under "Other" and you will see "Vox"

21. macrumors regular

Just Upgraded

Very nice update! Gapless playback finally makes its way onto Vox, really happy with the UI and doubling up with iTunes makes my Mac listening experience quite nice.

22. macrumors member

Aqua is over a decade old. The design is clean and fantastic. Its nice to see a change after 10 years... its long overdue.

23. macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Shame that you lose the Radio feature devs offered MR members when the app first launched back in August :(

24. macrumors newbie

For the radio, try this: http: //coppertino.com/vox/unlockradio.php?code=RUVOX

Cheers

25. macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Got it! Thank you so much!