Voyage to the bottom of the...oh hell, HARD TO PORT!!!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

How the heck do you drive a nuclear submarine aground?

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Oops. I think some Navy Commander just earned himself a desk job.

3. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

OODs fault but the Captain accepts responsibility. The Captain rarely assumes control of the Bridge. I've worked with more than a few JOs who should never have been trusted with the watch.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

5. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Usually they are cool until they reach LTJG senior, unless they are pilots. Apparantly being egotistical is a requirement for flyers. Though I found Helo officers to be pretty well grounded. LTs and LT Commanders (as well as Mustangs at any rank) are the most picky about saluting and "respect."

After that they seems to realize that it most often out of duty and not respect and only appreciate it when it is offered out of respect. Which actually takes effort on their behalf.

The Officers who recieve respect instead of enforcing it are by far the superior leaders.

From my point of view, I didn't feel anyone below Commander deserved a slaute unless they were exceptional at what they did. What really has a JO done? earned a college degree? whoop dee doo. A Chief at that point is far more deserving than any JO of a salute. To become a Commander (O5) actually requires a lot of ability and proven effectiveness. Billion dollar ships are not just given to anyone.

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Some of this will depend on whether there were "exercises" going on.