vpc 7

Discussion in 'Games' started by Ninja_Turtle, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

so vpc 7 is out...but i see nothing that says it takes advantage of graphics card acceleration...nothing at all...wtf, i thought vpc 7 was going to have this feature...this was the reason i was waiting for vpc7 to see if it would actually run counter strike....any comments

2. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Yeah... there's no specific mention... but they claim the redraw is much better... so we'll see how it works.

3. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

There was never any formal anouncement saying that vpc 7 was going to sport hardware support, it was just a rumor. A highly plausible rumor though in my opinion and wuld be suprised if it didn't have this.

4. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Hell, if I can finally play Shadow Warrior on a mac, I'll be happy.

5. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Wait wasn't that the Duke Nukem engine based game? Where you used a sword and threw ninja stars etc?

6. applekid macrumors 68020

Let's say don't expect anything big. My gut tells me nothing significant happened as far as graphics acceleration goes. The beta tester I talked to weeks ago said there wasn't much for gamers, not that it's a bad release, in his opinion.

7. Ninja_Turtle thread starter macrumors 6502

party

they did release it on mac...it came with Duke Nukem 3D ATOMIC Edition...cost me a good 10$, but it was worth it :D :)

8. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Shadow Warrior is already out for the Mac. Been out. Seen it at Compusa for $2.99. No joke! (What a lamebrain...)

9. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I don't think there wasn't ever any reliable source of the rumor that VPC7 would have native video card support, and I for one am not even remotely surprised that it does not.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It still emulates the old S3 Trio. It is faster though.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yep, it does.

What I find even more unbelievable is that people expected to play games like CS on the Mac through VPC 7. Expecting better graphics performance is one thing, but :p

Games don't even play well on Macs, let alone on a Windows emulator on a Mac!

12. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

Magic on Mac??

Do you think i will be able to get away with running Magic the gathering online through vpc 7? Here are the specs...

Minimum Requirements:
    Windows 95/98/2000/ME/XP or Windows NT 4.0
    Pentium II 333 MHz
    64 MB RAM
    600 MB free hard disk space
    Video card able to handle 800 x 600 pixels
    (1024 x 768 recommended) and Hi Color settings
    DirectX 3.0
    4X CD-ROM drive
    Sound card
    Internet connection (56k or better)
    Web browser that supports SSL encryption

Please gimme some feedback. I plan on using machine in my signature. :confused:

13. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

What about Age of Mythology? I hope so...

JOD8FY

14. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

That sounds possible, but don't take my word for it :)

15. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

No way. At least not on the setup you have in your signature.

What's wrong with the Mac version of Age of Mythology, by the way?

16. boxerchip macrumors member

ok so as i have NO expireance with macs what should i expect out of a dual 2.5 with 2 gigs of ram running VPC7? what type of games will i be able to play?

Couterstrike maybe?

17. benpatient macrumors 68000

counter strike runs on a P2 400mhz well enough to make a lot of official Mac releases look slow.

But it probably won't play on your dual 2.5 through VPC7 unless there is hardware graphics accelleration support...

18. unixkid macrumors member

at about 10 to 20fps if ur lucky...lol

19. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Me thinks most important is that there's no mention of DirectX support.

I don't think the grfx card will be used for hardware acceleration at all. The faster screen draw etc. seems to mee be the fact that maybe stuff like Quartz Extreme is used... :rolleyes:

The system requirements are pretty steep.
    If VPC 7 is faster on the same machine than VPC 6, then why don't the requirements drop?

Attached Files:

20. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Maybe because VPC 6 runs under both OS 9 and OS X. It doesn't require as much horsepower to run in OS 9 as it does in OS X. Apparently VPC 7 is now OS X only and therefore it would obviously have higher requirements. That would be my guess anyway. I'm not looking for any dramatic performance increases over VPC 6 though. I hope M$ surprises us, but I'm not getting my hopes up. At least it'll run on G5s now...

21. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Darn. The only reason is because I already have a PC version of it and don't feel like spending the money on a game I already own.

JOD8FY

22. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

About how many fps are needed for a game to run "smoothly"? I know that all depends on how you think of "smoothly," but shouldn't 20 fps be pretty smooth? How many fps are needed for a game like AOM not to be choppy/skippy?

JOD8FY

23. scottwat macrumors regular

Doom 3

SO I guess running doom 3 under VP 7 on my orange ibook is out???
    Darn the luck!!!

24. benpatient macrumors 68000

if it is under 30 fps "average" then you will notice choppiness. If a game runs at a sustained 24fps, it is able to maintain the illusion of motion...that's not the issue. The problem comes from people who average 30 fps but that average includes a bunch of zero-action 60fps time, and a bunch of high-action 5-10 fps time...do you think 5 fps is playable? If at any point during your playing experience, your FPS drops below 20 in a first person shooter in a multiplayer match, chances are very, very good that you just got fragged because of it. That's why counter strike players like to be well over 100 fps even though their monitor's refresh rate (your "true" fps) isn't set any higher than typically 75-85Hz. If you're averaging 150 fps, then you're probably never dipping under 70, which means you're maintaining a very enjoyable experience...unfortunately, any game that has been released in the last 3 years or so will not run at that level on even a dual 2.5 G5 at a respectable resolution (1024x768, let's say).

In fact, the last game that came out (FPS games, anyway) that can manage minumum framerates over 75 fps on ANY apple computer (i.e. the dual G5s with a 9800 or better) is, to the best of my knowledge, Quake 3, or one of its spin-offs.

Not exactly a refreshing gaming environment we have going here in Appleland.

25. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Thanks for the info. I'd like to see some benchmarks of VPC 7. Does anyone own it yet? Can you give us an idea of how it runs?

Thanks,
    JOD8FY