VPC and abadonware games

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by freundt, Aug 18, 2003.

1. freundt macrumors member

Howdy,

I'm about to get my first mac and have a question in regards to Virtual PC.

Can it run old dos games? Like 1989 games? (think the original SSI D&D gold box games, or the Ultima Series)

2. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Virtual PC isn't an OS in and of itself. It emulates an x86 machine so that you can run whatever x86 OS you'd like. When you buy VPC, you choose what version of Windows or DOS you want (98, 2K, XP, etc.) and can buy add-on OSes later for about a c-note each.

So, if the version of Windows you pick supports the game, then sure, it'll work. If it doesn't, then you can probably get it to work if you have an extra hundred buck burning a hole in your pocket....

3. freundt thread starter macrumors member

well...

what I'm more worried about is the kind of hardware calls the old games made in regards to interrupt setting, custom graphic modes, etc...

4. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Hmmm...

As a rare VPC user and someone who doesn't know too much about "hardware calls", I may not be the best person to discuss this.

If you post a more specific question, I can try to poke around in the (surprizingly limited) documentation that came with my VPC 6.0/Win2000.

Also, if there's a shareware version of one of these oldies-but-goodies, I'd be happy to drop it in, see how it does and report back. :)

Don't know if I can really be of more help that that. Now if you wanted a nifty layout of something.... :cool: