VPC - need for speed

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KooBrewoP, Sep 5, 2004.

1. KooBrewoP macrumors regular

KooBrewoP

one of the reasons im planning on getting VPC 6.1 is to play WMV3 files, and simple pc games (e.g. tomb radar the last revelation - min s req = 16mb ram, pentium 233mhz processor). how will these perform on a 1.33, 12in G4 PB with 768 ram?

2. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Well, they should run ok, not the best, but ok. However, VPC 7 is going to be in stores in October and it's going to be up to 30% faster than VPC 6, so why wouldn't you wait? Unless you need it for something now, I'd wait until then.

JOD8FY

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

4. KooBrewoP thread starter macrumors regular

KooBrewoP

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm pretty sure that you can play WMV3 with WiMP 9 for Mac.

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I don't think so.

The formats that won't play are WMV3 and Intel's Indeo codec. Those are the only 2 I've ran across.

7. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

You can play WMV as long as it's not protected, but then I run into like 1 protected file a year so it's not a problem.

AppleMatt

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've done a bit of research and found out about this. WMV3 is the FourCC of Windows Media Video 9 inside an AVI file. Since WiMP for Mac doesn't play AVI files, WMV3-encoded AVIs won't play on a Mac.

However, the same video format, when in a Windows Media container (wmv extension), can be played with WiMP 9 for Mac. Note that simply renaming the avi extension to wmv won't help, as the video will still be in an AVI container.