VPC Printing Woes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DCBass, Jun 19, 2004.

1. DCBass macrumors 6502

Hello Everyone,

Here's my problem, hope someone can help.
    I've got VPC 6.1.1 installed on my 867 12" PB with WinXP Pro. The only purpose for having this is to print on my HP OfficeJet V40 fax/copier/scanner because there is no Mac driver for it (hey, my wife has a pc :rolleyes: and it was on a dirt cheap sale!). Anywho, the installation of the above software went fine and I installed the VPC additions. However, whenever I plug in the printer (USB), the windows 'machine' will crash and restart as soon as it recognizes the printer. It will continue to crash and restart over and over again after that.

So, anyone have any suggestions? Run into this problem before? Below are my specs, just to be as thorough as possible.

Thanks!
    -DCBass

12" 867 PB RevA
    640 MB RAM
    MacOSX 10.3.4

2. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

Since you are on panther you should have the gimp-print drivers installed. According to the gimp-print site the HP DeskJet 900 series driver is compatible with your model of printer. Set up a new printer in OS X (not VPC) and use the HP DeskJet 900 series driver.

I've had success in the past using a "compatible" gimp-print driver to access a 'windows only' printer.

3. DCBass thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, but...

Thanks Thirteenva,

I've used gimp print a couple times in the past couple months, but the print quality is lacking and the speed is well... let's say that I'll set it to print one page, go cook a dinner for two, eat it, spend some time talking, and it still won't be done after that. So I think that to print effectively, I'll have to do it vpc.

Does anyone have any other ideas/experience the same problem. Your advice is much appreciated. Perhaps Win XP Pro is the problem?

Thanks,

-DCBass