VPC w/MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Aramis, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Aramis macrumors member

Aramis

I recently purchased VPC 7.0.2 but am having a heck of a time getting it up and running. I am fairly new to Macs, and have been trying to learn as much as possible from reading and trial by error, BUT this has stumped me. I installed the app and upon reboot was informed that security settings had changed for a select group of folders. I selected "fix" and did a reboot. After a restart I tried to start VPC and it continues to say, "The application VPC quit unexpedtedly". Do a reopen same thing. Reinstall, same thing.

Is it even supported on the Intel? Am I wasting my time?

Thank you!

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Well... I doubt an Intel version is coming soon (past has shown that they are slow to bring new versions). Currently your VPC will be running through a PPC emulator (rosetta) to emulate an Intel chip. Funny huh?

It very well might not work.

4. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Unfortunately, VPC is not supported by Intel *yet*. Sorry you wasted your money on it.

5. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

yes, you are wasting your time. it is not supported on the intel macs (to my knowledge.)

VPC for mac emulates a x86 chip, and runs windows in a seperate window. So on the intel, what it is doing is having rossetta emulate a PPC chip so it can emulate a x86 chip. M$ should offer a UB soon, and then it will fly, but until then, VPC on intel macs is a no go.

EDIT: other people got here before me… but it is all true.

6. Aramis thread starter macrumors member

Aramis

I was just on that page but overlooked that entry due to my frustrations - lesson learned. I sincerely appreciate the quick responses. I have a friend who bought a PB that was going to order as well, ill just sell to him.

Again - thanks!

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Try this alternative:

http://openosx.com/wintel/

In the past, this core has been significantly slower than VPC running on PowerPC architectures. But on a Core Duo, the story may be very different.

8. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Their video shows it running on a Mactel and it sure looks pretty slow.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I was actually quite surprised by that... But I think it's still quite a bit faster than VPC is on a G5, isn't it?

10. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

As far as I know, all they've done is recompiled QEMU into a Universal Binary. If anything, it's probably less efficient than VPC on a G5, because it's not a virtual machine, it is an emulator. I don't fully understand how QEMU works, but from user reports, OpenOSX's Wintel is VERY slow. MS has said (in a sort of non-committal way) that they're working on VPC for Intel Macs. They'd be stupid not to make it like VPC for Windows, ie. a virtual machine rather than an emulator. That should provide very nearly native performance, because CPU instructions won't be have to be emulated, only some of the hardware will be emulated.

11. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

here's one

http://www.kberg.ch/q/

Free and they are teaming up with QemuX

"We are happy to announce that QemuX and Q are combing their forces to deliver You the best emulation experience on OS X for the major PC and Workstation Platforms like x86, PowerPC, SPARC and more!"

This is getting alot of attention over on http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/

Alot of people switching fronm VPC to Q

12. netb0y macrumors regular

netb0y

I'm looking forward to playing with wine on the Mactels.