VPC5 and Tiger on a G5?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mkrishnan, Jan 27, 2006.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, okay, a little off the wall. But I bought a copy of VPC5 with Win2k from a member here, and I played around with it in Tiger on my iBook a few times. I felt like installing it just for kicks on my new iMac G5/2.0. I had a couple of problems. First, at the end, it came to a window that said it needed me to authenticate to fix permissions. But it wasn't a standard OS X keychain window. And it wanted me to type in my user name and password. And it would not accept either my short or long user name. When I finally cancelled, and tried to boot Win2k, the boot window pops up, but then VPC crashes.

I have a crash log, but it's super long....

2. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

VPC5 will not run on a G5; neither will VPC6. You need to shell out for VPC7.

Sorry if that constitutes bad news.

3. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, so it's a G5 thing? It doesn't really matter to me. I don't particularly need it. :) But thank you for the information! :)

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

How quickly you forget. The lack of endian change instructions in the PPC 970 (G5) was the impetus behind the development of VPC 7. The virtual hard drive disk image from VPC 5 will work with VPC 7.

5. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Heh...I wasn't sure I'd ever *get* a G5! :eek: ;) :D

Mmmm, this helps, though. Thank you! I remember the issue with VPC6 not working. I thought that VPC5 was immune from this issue for some reason, since it was immune from the Tiger issue, mayhaps. :eek: