Vpc5

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Beej, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

OK guys, sorry to bore you with a kind of PC-related question, but I'm going to have to do it anyway... ;)

I have a cable connection shared through a LAN. My iBook runs VPC5 with win98 and will happily connect to the internet using the Mac's settings. Sweet.

Now, I thought that if I changed my Mac's settings (when I'm away I use dial-up) then the PC would happily follow. Not so sweet.

In theory, if I can connect to the internet using my Mac, shouldn't I be able to connect through VPC? At least that's what I thought.

Any ideas?

2. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

I dont think it will work like that.

You can try to set you windows settings to a dial up and see what happens. I think there is also a question about dial up connections when you make a new PC disk image or import an existing one with VPC5. you may want to give that a look. Check out the settings that VPC has.. I think there is something about Dial up internet connect sharing.

3. Beej thread starter macrumors 68020

Beej

The manual reccomends against setting up windows to initiate it's own dial-up connection. But I can't get it to work any other way, I'll give it a shot.

As far as I can tell, no matter what the connection type, if the Mac can get the internet, the PC cna too. Here's a bit from the manual:

To access the Internet using Shared Networking:
    1. Set up the PC to use Shared Networking. [Done]
    2. Connect to the Internet from the Macintosh environment, either by modem or LAN. [Done]
    3. Launch the browser application in the PC environment. [Done - works thru LAN, not thru modem]

Arg!