VPC7 advice for switcher

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by deltrotter, Dec 13, 2004.

1. deltrotter macrumors regular

Hi

Just got a brand new iBook (still have hold of my PC as well for a while).

I'm from the UK and have about 8 years of data on Intuit Quicken. In the UK you can't get a Mac version. I can get my hands on VPC 7 and was wondering if I would better off installing it with Windows 98 (which will run the Quicken I have) rather than XP.

Basically, I will only be using VPC for Quicken. Should Windows 98 run quicker on my iBook that XP under VPC 7? (On the basis that W98 is older and less 'bloating').

TIA

Cheers

Del

2. MIADolFan macrumors member

It will run but you wont like it. Do you know anyone in the US that could buy Quicken for you and ship it over? Although I am unsure if the version over here will support another currency. It may.

But to answer your other question I have had better experience with 98 over XP with VPC. You could try XP but only use the Classic interface and not the Luna crap. That will speed up XP a bit.

3. deltrotter thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that. Unfortunately tax rules etc mean that US Quicken won't be much good in the UK.

I hopefully will only be opening the VPC once or twice a week, so even if it is a 'bit' slow, it should be ok.

Any tips for speeding it up a bit?

Cheers

Del

4. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

RAM, RAM, RAM and more RAM ;) :D

5. deltrotter thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks - got plenty of Ram.

Read somewhere that you could save the app in a particular "state" so it opened quicker. Just delving deeper. Don't want to install 98 and then have to do XP.

Cheers

Del

6. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Avoid XP altogether if you don't need it. I am using Windows 2000 and find that it performs acceptably for non-graphic intensive apps.Win 98 also is fast, but doesn't integrate as well (VPC additions, which allows drag & drop between OS's, and smoother switching to and from VPC doesn't work with Win 98)
    You can save the state of any OS under VPC (don't need XP for that)

7. deltrotter thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Scotty.

I may go for Win 2k then.

Cheers

Del

8. phonemonkey macrumors regular

If you are only needing virtual pc for quicken I could probably help you out in getting something compatible. . The only thing is that it is the 2003 version for os x. PM me if interested.
    Phonemonkey

9. maya macrumors 68040

maya

As another poster has said max out the ram if you can afford it on the iBook.

VPC with windows OS uses 384Megs of ram as it is plus OS X uses about 256Megs alone granted it will be slow however if you have a Gig or ram and only running quicken it should be fine. :)