Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lettersofman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
Miami
I've been insatlling VPC7 + Windows 2000 on my 667 powerbook running OS X 10.3.9 and it worked fine yesterday. I'm not quite sure what happened today but when I tried firing up Windows it gives me an error message that reads:

The primary disk image could not be written to. The image file may be locked. The disk image has been mounted read-only. Most operating systems cannot boot with a read-only primary disk.

It reads Settings or Continue under the mesage, when I hit continue, it just starts the process all over again. When I press Settings, it takes me to a "preferences" screen but I can't change the disk image to read/write.

Please help.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Check that the "Locked" flag hasn't been set for the disk image in question. You can check this in the Finder by finding the disk image file, doing a Get Info on it, and looking at the information therein. Also, make sure that you have write permission for the directory and the image file itself - this can also be checked in the Finder using a similar method.

lettersofman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
Miami
Check that the "Locked" flag hasn't been set for the disk image in question. You can check this in the Finder by finding the disk image file, doing a Get Info on it, and looking at the information therein. Also, make sure that you have write permission for the directory and the image file itself - this can also be checked in the Finder using a similar method.

Thanks for the help. How do I find the disk image file from within the mac os though? I can't do that from within the Finder.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Thanks for the help. How do I find the disk image file from within the mac os though? I can't do that from within the Finder.
Yes, you can - just go to File->Find and do a search for Virtual PC. You should find several folders with that name. One of them will have the disk image you seek inside of it (it'll be the biggest file in the list when sorted by size).

lettersofman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
Miami
Yes, you can - just go to File->Find and do a search for Virtual PC. You should find several folders with that name. One of them will have the disk image you seek inside of it (it'll be the biggest file in the list when sorted by size).
Aw man thanks I found it. And the lock was on. It's asking me if I also want to apply to enclosed items. Should I? Yes, I'm a newb, lol.

lettersofman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
Miami
Yes, do so to make sure nothing else VPC needs to run is locked.

You're so much help, really appreciate it. Everything is running fine, I'm installing AutoCAD 2005 on VPC now and a bunch of files have changed their name from JIS A4 title block (portrait).dwg to JIS A4 title block (p#3D96C.dwg

So what's happening is I'm getting an Error:1308. Source file not found ....
Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.

I found the file and that's when I saw the name had changed and now there's a p#3D6C in the name.

Any ideas on this? I'm here changing each file one by one. Must be at least a hundred of these.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
You're so much help, really appreciate it. Everything is running fine, I'm installing AutoCAD 2005 on VPC now and a bunch of files have changed their name from JIS A4 title block (portrait).dwg to JIS A4 title block (p#3D96C.dwg

So what's happening is I'm getting an Error:1308. Source file not found ....
Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.

I found the file and that's when I saw the name had changed and now there's a p#3D6C in the name.

Any ideas on this? I'm here changing each file one by one. Must be at least a hundred of these.
That's wierd. Somehow, the file names are getting changed to their Mac OS 9 short (31-character) forms. I have no idea how this happened, nor what to do about it other than manually fix the ones that are broken.

skeeter86

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
primary disk image error VPC7

I too am getting the same message:The primary disk image could not be written to. The image file may be locked. The disk image has been mounted read-only. Most operating systems cannot boot with a read-only primary disk.

It isn't locked when I look in Information and everyone has read/write access. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.