Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
I have Virtual PC 7 with windows xp in it. I bought it just to use programming tools for my university exercises in windows XP.

Problem 1)The problem is, that whenever I try to build an application using Microsoft's Visual C++ (just a simple "hello world" application written in ANSI C), my compiler builds the application and then I cannot open it! The application opens and quits instantly!

This happens even in pre-compiled demonstration applications which I received when I downloaded other compilers such as Visual Studio. What is happening? Could it be that VPC cannot run compiled apps of C language?

Problem 2)I cannot set up my XP (With service pack 2 installed) to connect to the internet using my Mac's ADSL connection. Microsoft's instructions are totally crap and all I know is that my Virtual XP cannot connect to the internet, and I cannot perform certain registrations that require an active internet connection.

Sorry for my long talk, but anyone has any solutions to these two problems?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Soulstorm said:
....Problem 2)I cannot set up my XP (With service pack 2 installed) to connect to the internet using my Mac's ADSL connection. Microsoft's instructions are totally crap and all I know is that my Virtual XP cannot connect to the internet, and I cannot perform certain registrations that require an active internet connection.

What do you mean? VPC 7 ships with Win XP (SP2). It works fine.

As for your Internet connection, VPC 7 uses your host's connection by default. That is, it shares your Mac's connection. You don't have to and shouldn't set up the connection within the Windows environment.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Sounds to me as though the OP needs to do a bit of reading. The VPC manual tells you how to set up the shared network access with OS X. If you are following the XP instruction, without setting up VPC first, it won't work, as you have already discovered.

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
of my hand will get me slapped.
" The application opens and quits instantly!"

If this is a command line proggie then this is what it will do.

Command will open
Will print "hello world" on the screen
Comman will close

All before you can see something happen.

Try compiling the program and running the .exe from within command rather then runnning from the compiler or double clicking an icon.
This is a very common mistake with new programmmers (not picking on ya, just trying to reassure you that you are not the only one who does this :) )

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
MisterMe said:
What do you mean? VPC 7 ships with Win XP (SP2). It works fine.

As for your Internet connection, VPC 7 uses your host's connection by default. That is, it shares your Mac's connection. You don't have to and shouldn't set up the connection within the Windows environment.

I should be more careful on how i am saying it... Yes I will try to explain it now. Yes, I know it SHOULD share my Mac's connection. But it doesn't. So, I open Internet Explorer and cannot open even a single page. It says on the bottom "Web site found. Waiting for reply..." and I wait, and wait, and nothing happens.

I have a very fast Mac, so this delay is not just a slow XP, it is a connection problem.

So, any ideas?

Arcus said:
Command will open
Will print "hello world" on the screen
Comman will close
All before you can see something happen.
Try compiling the program and running the .exe from within command rather then runnning from the compiler or double clicking an icon.
This is a very common mistake with new programmmers (not picking on ya, just trying to reassure you that you are not the only one who does this )

No offence taken. I have programmed in Mac many times, but in PC, it is my first time. (19 years old, what did you expect? :) )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.