vpn icon

Discussion in 'OS X' started by zblaxberg, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Guest

zblaxberg

So yesterday I was messing around on my mbp and I don't quite understand what a vpn is or what it does but anyway I went to fool around with it and now the vpn icon is in the top right corner next to the bluetooth icon...Is there a way to remove it or should i just not worry about it and leave it there. There isn't a vpn set up or anything, it's not configured and it says vpn:idle...the only option it gives me is open internet connect. Any ideas? Should I configure a vpn (considering i'm going into college)

2. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

God, that's a random jumble of thoughts. Let's start with removing it from the menubar. Hold the Apple / Command key (the one directly on either side of the spacebar), and click and drag it off the menu bar. Then let go of the mouse button.

3. thread starter Guest

zblaxberg

that worked...now the question is do i really need a vpn...and what would be a reason why I would need it

4. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Basically it's one of those "if you don't know, then you don't need it" kind of things :)

5. macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Come on, alwasy nice to be educated!

VPN (Virtual Private Network) enables you to log into another network.
    If, for instance, you're working at home, but need a file of a server that is on the network at your office.
    For security reasons you probably cannot reach that server directly, so first of all you set up a VPN connection to the office network, and then you connect to the server to get your needed file.

6. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I was late for work :p