VPN in OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cgratti, Dec 30, 2005.

1. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

I want to set up 2 computers to VPN, one in my home and the other in my parents home. Does OS X TIGER have the ability to be a VPN SERVER, I want to give my parents the ability to transfer files from their home to mine through VPN. I see TIGER has a VPN client, but how do I set my machine up so they can connect to it.

Thanks in advance to all who help.

--G

2. capone2 macrumors regular

go to Cisco VPN......

.....search the internet for a link that would take to a site....usually a college site where you can intsall a free version of VPN for OS X. Install it on bothe computers and, boom your done.

As long as both computers have access to the vpn address and ip address you can access either computer on any computer and transfer and share files.

good luck! its easy.

3. belvdr macrumors 601

I think he needs a VPN server in between though, which was what he asked for.

If you have a Linksys router, you can install 3rd party firmware that gives you a VPN server for free.

4. capone2 macrumors regular

??

yes you are right i knew,something was missing??

5. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Does anyone have more information on this? I'm really looking to do this for tech support for my aunt that lives across town.
    Remote desktop that is.

Leo Laporte and his friend of Security Now talk about Himachi all the time but is not yet Mac ready.

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Well I have vpn set up where i manage servers so i know a little about it. What you could do is put a m0n0wall at the end you would like to connect to.(www.m0n0.ch) easy to set up but you need a slow PC almost anything you can find will do. And then you could connect to the m0n0 network from you mac. Or you could set up two m0n0 systems one at each end and have a permanent tunnel between the two.

This is one option, if someone finds a VPN server you can run on mac I would probable say thats the way to go, however this is a option.

7. virus7 macrumors member

why not just set up an FTP server if you are just transfering files?

8. virus7 macrumors member

Why not just set up remote desktop on that computer and open those ports on your firewall...there really isnt a need for vpn.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Can't you just go old school and run VNC over SSH as a secure/cross platform remote desktop? SSH is already built-in in OS X, VNC is freely available.

I haven't tried this, but it might do the trick http://www.macmod.com/content/view/89/

B

10. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I'm confused.:confused:

How would I connect to an external IP, in this case someone across the country?

11. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

VPN would be if you are worried about security.

12. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That guide really does need some work, but is another very good place to start with VNC over SSH.

Daveway: Dynamic DNS is your friend if the remote machine does not have a static IP address, but in the approach in the link above, the remote machine initiates the tunnel, and only you would need to have a static IP/dynamic DNS regardless of how many machines you might want to control.

B

14. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

And one good dynamic DNS is http://www.no-ip.com/ If you need any more help we are here for ya!

15. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

What if both the admin an client are both behind routers?

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

In the approach from the guide here (as linked above), only the admin's side should have to open the port when expecting a connection.

B

17. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Then as it says the guide i posted earlier, you need to forward port 22 to the "admin" mac, however This is for setting up remote desktop, if you are doing just file transfer there is easier ways to do this. Such as FTP.

18. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

My confusion was that my router (Intel) doesn't configure like this. It does more of a redirect. Ex. Dest=61.39.125.... route to 192.168.0.3.

19. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yeah "map" is not the best choice of words, but the idea is the same.

You want any packets sent to the public IP of your router on port 22 to be delivered to your (admin) Mac.

B

20. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I've followed the instructions to the letter except for the sshkeys and COTVLC says it cant connect. :(

Any ideas why?

21. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

No, but here's the first thing I would do to try and diagnose it.

Run ssh interactively from the "client" to the "admin" i.e.
    Code:
    ssh dummy@mypowerbook.ddnsname.whatever
    without the -R, and make sure that works.

If that works then the tunnel should be good. The tunnel needs to be "up" before you can run COTCV.

B

22. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

If all you want to do is allow file sharing between the machines (possibly with desktop access) then you can simply tunnel the services over ssh.

An ssh tunnel encrypts the communication so that provides you the privacy you would like in the data as it passes over the Internet connection. In addition, tunneling over ssh means that you only need to poke one hole in the firewalls at each end: port 22 for ssh.

You could tunnel ftp over ssh, but if both ends are OS X machines you may as well simply enable personal file sharing, tunnel port 548 over ssh and then use the afp protocol to share files over the link.

If you also want desktop access then you can enable Apple Remote Desktop on the machine you want to access the desktop of and tunnel port 5900 over ssh and then use a VNC client such as "Chicken of the VNC" on the client machine to view and access the desktop.

You can poke around with setting up the ssh tunnels using the terminal. Alternatively, AlmostVPN provides a handy preference pane that allows you to set up ssh tunnels.

AlmostVPN also provides an easy way to set up file sharing over an ssh tunnel -- have a look at the FAQ "How to get to your files with AlmostVPN?".