VPN in Panther

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by all-in-my-head, Dec 9, 2003.

1. all-in-my-head macrumors member

Ok forgive me if this is obvious but i'm used to using VPNs on WinXP.

I have connected to VPN and appears to be fine, but i cant work out how to actually browse my vpn and look at sites on it. I have used Safari and Explorer typing in addresses and all it returns is no connection or server not found. I cant find anything in preferences at all. I've even treid connecting with an ftp prog but still no success. Also i notice you cant browse the rest of the web or use chat programs while connected, which seems like an oversight. Have downloaded digitunnel that can view both at once, but still cant actually view anything on the VPN itself.

Any ideas?

2. bitfactory macrumors 6502

bitfactory

Re: VPN in Panther

are you connected to your work?

if so - most have proxy settings - take your proxy settings from your XP machine and type them in your Network Configuration setting in the System Preferences.

3. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

What did you use to create your VPN connection? Did you use the Internet Connect that comes with Panther or did you use a third-party client?

I'm trying to get a third-party client to work on my Mac to connect to a Nortel VPN and I'm not having much luck. I have a PC at home and it works fine.

Anyway, enough about my problem. Ditto the proxy settings from the previous post and your browser should work. If it doesn't are you sure that you are connected?

4. all-in-my-head thread starter macrumors member

Re: Re: VPN in Panther

Cant find the proxy settings for the VPN, its a uni VPN connection, and i didn't enter any on XP just the domain, user and password.

Have tried both VPN in Internet Connect and third party VPN. Both go through the motions of connecting, authorizing and then say connected. The icon changes too. And since i cant check email and other websites with normal VPN i assume it must be conect direct to uni VPN.

Will try asking uni sys admin.
    But what your saying is that it should work in the same fashion as on XP, just type adddresses in the browser - right?
    Cheers
    S

5. bitfactory macrumors 6502

bitfactory

Re: Re: Re: VPN in Panther

it should work exactly the same - you don't enter the proxy settings in the VPN client on the PC side - it is set through the IE settings (i think - its been a while since i've looked).

i'm sure your admin will be able to shed some light on it. good luck!