Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azstinger

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Ok so i understand the concept of a VPN and how that would work over wifi or a normal connection. However is it possible to get to a VPN from just a 3G connection and would it be potentially strong/fast enough to support streaming video?

I tried searching and all it seemed like all the discussions I found were just about using a VPN over wifi. So sorry in advance if it was covered before and my weak google-fu missed it.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The VPN is solely dependent on your Internet connection. So if AT&T or whoever your carrier is, has a solid network in your area, it will work fine. All the VPN does is create a secure encrypted tunnel from your iPad to where ever the other end of the VPN is, usually a firewall.

I have an IPSec VPN setup on my iPhone back to my office Cisco ASA 5510 and it works just fine on AT&T 3G when I need it.

azstinger

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Hmm ok thanks, I will be using in a deployed location to try and get access to US/UK websites/servers.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
GRC.com

Also, if you want to learn more about VPN's and potential solutions for being abroad, check out Security Now! with Steve Gibson and Leo Laporte. Scroll all the way down toward the bottom and look for episodes 14 and 15 and I think up to 18. They talk all about VPN's and the technology behind it.

It's very interesting stuff.

azstinger

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Also, if you want to learn more about VPN's and potential solutions for being abroad, check out Security Now! with Steve Gibson and Leo Laporte. Scroll all the way down toward the bottom and look for episodes 14 and 15 and I think up to 18. They talk all about VPN's and the technology behind it.

It's very interesting stuff.

Thanks for the help, defiantly will take a look. Anything to pass the time out here =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.