VPN problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chmorley, Jan 18, 2007.

1. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

For my job I have to VPN into our server--primarily to run RDC, but also to manage the Macs on the network (the company that set up the VPN provides the service for the PCs). When VPNing in on a Windows machine (and in Parallels), the connection is solid--no freezing whatsoever. Using Tiger's built-in VPN client, however, is frustrating as hell. It invariably hangs or times out if I leave it idle for between 15 seconds to a minute. When it hangs I can usually disconnect and then reconnect again immediately (althugh it will remain as flaky as ever).

I do not yet know all the details of the VPN on the server (a Windows 2003 server machine). I have a call in to the support company and am waiting for a response. In the meantime, however, I was wondering if others have tackled this problem with any success.

Thanks in Advance,
    Chris

2. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

You don't normally "VPN" into a server, rather you VPN into a security device of some sort that then allows you to access the servers via RDC (RDP?). Check with your service people if they support the Mac's version of the VPN client. I run the security equipment where I work and use Cisco equipment and only support Cisco's VPN client (Mac and Windows).

Now - that said - I know that Parallels has issues still with the VPN setup, where it's either flaky or doesn't work properly in cases. This may be what you are experiencing.

But do take some time with your support people and ask them if they support the Mac VPN client. If they don't, ask them which one to use. If they say it doesn't work on Mac's, beg to differ. I do it all the time.

3. chmorley thread starter macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Thanks very much for the reply. Actually, the VPN with Parallels works flawlessly.

I will make sure to check with the support folks regarding what security device they use. I do appreciate the help.

Chris

4. chmorley thread starter macrumors 6502a

chmorley

SonicWall

Looks like the security device is a SonicWall. If anyone has any good insight on this product, let me know. I can track down the model number if it's helpful.

Chris

5. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

(Got your pm - thanks)

Sorry to say that I haven't had the opportunity to work with the SonicWall, so I can't give you any help there. You might try a google search, on the model and see what you find. By the way, what vpn client do you use in windows?

6. chmorley thread starter macrumors 6502a

chmorley

7. Georg Bouk macrumors newbie

Chris,

Did you find out anything on Sonicwall? I'm curious as well as this is the same software that my job uses. I just purchase a MacBook and I believe I'm going to run Parallels to VPN and Remote Desktop to my office PC. If you have this working fine, please let me know.

Thanks.

8. brbubba macrumors 6502

brbubba

I'm pretty sure the Sonicwall uses IPSEC. We had one and I upgraded them to a pfsense box. I gave up on finding an IPSEC client so I use OpenVPN, works like a charm with TunnelBlick.

Anyway I found this for you, looks like its $89, but if it works for you then its probably a small price to pay. http://www.equinux.com/us/company/newsdetail.html?id=205

It looks like the Sonicwall Global VPN client would be cheaper but I can't find a Mac version anywhere.

9. rpeters83 macrumors regular

Hello. I am having this exact same problem - works fine under windows, but is flakey under tiger/leopard.

Did you fix this? If so, how? Thanks!!!

10. tbharthur macrumors newbie

i am also having the same problem - any help would be greatly appreciated!

11. chmorley thread starter macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Fixed

Sorry--I hadn't checked this thread in a long time. I got it fixed with VPN Tracker. It works flawlessly, although the IT guys had to do some work on the server side.

Chris

12. petieg macrumors newbie

Mac VPN Client for Sonicwall

STOP!! Don't buy VPN Tracker... #1 too damned expensive IP Securitas works just fine for Sonicwall VPNs ... and it's free. It's from Lobotomo software or something like that... been using if for a few years ....