VPN to home iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Mechcozmo, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Is it possible to VPN from our school's horrible PeeCees (500Mhz Celerons!) to my home iMac? That way, all my "junk" is accessible at all times, and I won't have to deal with Windoze.

Although I do have a PowerBook, it would be amazingly convinent if I could VPN to the iMac as well.

(Note: Our school's computer accounts are restricted, but I have my ways...so there should not be a huge problem.)
  2. stealthy macrumors member

Aug 19, 2004
    NYC Metro Area
    I'm not sure about VPN, but you could install VNC on your iMac. If you did choose this option, best to pick a very good password and leave the VNC Server running only when you know you'll need it. The below link will give you more info.

3. tomf87 macrumors 65816

Sep 10, 2003
    I assume you want a secure way of using your iMac from school, and if that's the case, VNC, by itself, isn't what you want. You will want a secure tunnel before you run it.

You may be able to get around your school's user acccount system, however if they are using a firewall that doesn't associate with those accounts, you may be out of luck. Also, if their firewall doesn't support VPN tunnels over NAT, you may be out of luck as well.

At any rate, OS X includes vpnd, however I haven't found a way to make it work as it does in OS X Server. If you have a Linksys WRT54G broadband router, try using Sveasoft's modded firmware (www.sveasoft.com). It has a PPTP server built in.