VR Worlds

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Bedawyn, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Bedawyn macrumors regular

Are there any multi-user VR worlds out there that are usable from a Mac? I'm thinking something like ActiveWorlds or There, neither of which are supported for the Mac -- either social or game-based, but no war games or museum-on-a-web-page VRML type things. I used ActiveWorlds several years ago on a roommate's computer, and I'm seriously thinking of getting VirtualPC just for that, but I'm hesitant since that's probably the only thing I'd use it for.

2. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

Check out Second Life for something similar to what I think you are looking for. I haven't tried it, but it's being released (or it is has been released?) for Mac OS X, so I'd give it a gander if I were you.

3. Bedawyn thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for! And it's available for OS X, in beta. Except it's also Panther, G4, broadband only, and of those three, only the last is something I was planning to upgrade to any time soon. Ah well. I really didn't need any more temptation to get an entire new computer--I'm having a hard enough time telling myself I don't need a laptop as it is.

Also, ActiveWorlds worked just fine on a dial-up modem with technology that wasn't cutting-edge four years ago, so I don't quite understand why Second Life insists on only the best. :-( But at least I know it's there for the future, whenever I do break down and upgrade.