vRAM

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Xephian, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

Is there any way see how much video memory is available?

2. shambolic macrumors regular

Apple Menu > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware > PCI/AGP Cards

Should list VRAM for the graphics card installed in your machine (shows 32MB VRAM for the iBook I'm using now, tested with 10.3.9)

3. Xephian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xephian

That's not exactly what I meant.

I wanted to know how I can find out how much vRAM I currently have available that's unused. For example, how much vRAM ?/256 for my 6600.

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I am not sure it is at all possible... I think OSX uses all VRAM your card has.

5. shambolic macrumors regular

This is just the result of a quick google to try to make up for answering the wrong question before, but this looks interesting:

OpenGL Driver Monitor (scroll about half way down the page)

Comes with the dev. tools on Panther and I assume also Tiger. Right now my only machine with a programmable GPU is being repaired, so I can start the app but it doesn't do anything. You might get better results..

6. Xephian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xephian

Thanks, seems I already had OpenGL Driver Monitor installed and it works on viewing vRAM.

7. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Its a nonsensical question. VRAM isn't really managed the same way that system RAM is. Its not like each app lays claim to a certain amount of VRAM. Finder will use all that it can caching window textures (if it runs out it puts the rest in system RAM), and games will also generally fill up VRAM.

Are you trying to figure out what detail setting to enable in a video game? I don't think there's an easy way to figure out when the game has exhausted VRAM, just go as high possible and then back it down until the frame rate is acceptable.

8. Xephian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xephian

No, I wanted to find out becouse in Cinema 4D I got a message saying "Not enough memory...".

Also, I thought I had ran out of vRAM becouse I heard OS X splits it up when you have two screens. So that would be 128MB for each screen.