VShieldCore is swallowing my CPU

Discussion in 'macOS' started by raincoat, May 20, 2005.

1. raincoat macrumors member

raincoat

Attached Files:

2. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Virex + Tiger = :( :(
    Uninstall Virex. It serves no purpose anyhow.

3. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

As above ^^. Virex is not compatible with Tiger. You are experiencing a known problem. The solution is to completely uninstall Virex.

4. raincoat thread starter macrumors member

raincoat

I'm still on Panther. Virex should be ok in panther as far as i am aware. As long as virex keep sending me virus updates, i'm happy that it is doing something for me.

Thanks for offering some help though :)

Udate: Hey, i'm a member now! :)

5. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Do you have background scanning or something on?

Also, be sure you're running version 7.5.1. IIRC, 7.5.0 had a problem where it ate the CPU.

6. hodgjy macrumors 6502

I should have noticed that you were on Panther because the Activity Monitor icons are different. I haven't heard of that problem on Panther. Try repairing permissions and rebooting. I run Virex 7.2.1, which I personally think is better, because it doesn't run in the background and I can manually check any file I want. This is helpful because I can drag email attachments right from the message in mail.app onto the Virex icon in the dock. Takes about 2 seconds to check the file without any background processes taking memory or cpu cycles all day long.

7. raincoat thread starter macrumors member

raincoat

I am running 7.5.1 and have background scanning on for mounted volumes etc - gives me peace of mind.

I have always had this on and have never noticed the problem before. That said I rarely have the activity monitor running so have not studied it before.

This could be the reason why my fan comes on so much due to temp of my powerbook exceeding 50 Deg C. Temp normally increases when CPU usage is high.

I might trial turning off the background monitoring to see if that solves the problem.

Many thanks all!

8. raincoat thread starter macrumors member

raincoat

Switched off active virus detection (left on te background detection) the problem seems to be solved. Temp back down to 47 Deg C

Cheers! :)

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Hehe....that's nothing...I used to get this all the time back in Panther...seems to be related to Classic...:-D

[​IMG]

10. anubis macrumors 6502a

There is absolutely no reason to be running a virus protection program on your Mac.

It seems that virex is eating up your system resources, RAM, CPU, and causing you all kinds of headaches. Now I ask you this: what do viruses do? They eat up your system resources, RAM, CPU, and cause you all kinds of headaches! In this instance, the solution is MUCH WORSE than the problem!

Why would you go through all of that when there are basically no active computer viruses that affect Mac OS X? There have been some proof of concept notices but no actual viruses. GET RID OF VIREX IMMEDIATELY! Why would you put yourself through all of this headache trying to avoid getting a virus when there ARE NO active Mac OS X viruses?

11. hodgjy macrumors 6502

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: some people are required to run AV's on their Macs if they want to use the bandwidth provided to them. I am one of them.