VW Engine Oil Temp?

Discussion in 'Community' started by alexprice, Mar 11, 2005.

1. alexprice macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2005
    Hi there, does anyone know about oil temp with VW engine's?

I own a VW 2.0 Corrado, the engine will seem to read a very high oil temp (Max. 116 degrees celcius).

Is this normal?

2. SPUY767 macrumors 68000

Jun 22, 2003
    I think that maybe you took a left when you should ahve taken a right and ended up here instead of the pep boys forum, however. Unless your VW is billowing smoke, or you use nasa grade lubricant (read Warming KY Jelly,) then your temperatuire sensor is likely to be at fault, that is an extremely high reading, and You should be getting some sort of vaporization of your coolant depending on where you live, (some folks in the south use about 1/2 and 1/2 water/coolant mixture cause it never gets to be a million degrees, and it doesn't get too cold either. At any rate, you need to get it checked out, but my bet is on a temp sensor, because as great as VW engines tend to be, they would be a bit grumpy at 30F over boiling. Also, I'm banking that you're not from the states since you used metric units.
  3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    If I remember from my 1990 Corrado G60 1.8, the meters were meant to register normal when they were straight up. As for being that hot, it might be a bit high but then, I've never seen a 2.0 litre Corrado. Here in the states, they were either 1.8 litre 4 cylinders with the G60 superchargers or 2.8 litre VR6s.
  4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    Replace temp sensor
    if that's not it, you've got a problem with your oil flow
    I'm betting on the sensor though.
  5. angelneo macrumors 68000

Jun 13, 2004
    Just checking, maybe the engine oil filter get cogged, resulting in the overheated oil. very unlikely though.