VW owners, please read!

Discussion in 'Community' started by jxyama, Dec 22, 2004.

1. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i think there was a thread before about the car and i remember there were quite a few VW owners here at MR...

so i have a question - relevant if you live in an area where it gets cold (like well below freezing) at nights.

i own a '01 golf. my sister owns a '03 jetta. we both have had the same problem, so i imagine it's a general design fault with a VW.

the problem i encounter, after a particularly cold night, is that the foam (not rubber) gasket used to seal the door tend to collect water, freeze overnight and get stuck to the metal door. this is at the top part of each door. this makes the door very difficult to open in the morning and i've damaged the foam gasket a few times when i forced the door open.

does anyone else have a similar problem?

i'm wondering if i greased the foam gasket with some vaseline, it may repel water and help with this problem... any other ideas?

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I have a '01 Jetta but i live in Louisiana so i wouldnt know, but the foam is prett thick.

3. Poeben macrumors 6502

Funny you should mention it. That happened to me for the first time a few nights ago. I didn't think much of it, but now I will watch out for it more. I have an '03 GTI and can easily see how this happens. Water gets in all sorts of weird places on these cars, fortunately inside is not one of them.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The only thing I remember was a light coat of silicone spray on the rubber and high tech polish (non-wax) on the door jams.

Don't think it'll work for the grey foam, just the rubber door seal.

5. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I have an '01 Passat, and I don't have this problem. It must be a design flaw in the Jetta.

The Vaseline is a good idea, but I'd take it to the dealership to see what they say just in case.

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I've had this happen on a couple of cars I've owned, I've come to hate foam seals. Always winds up pitted out and torn from ice damage. Well of course you probably already know, but a can of de-icer is a handy thing to have, just spray a bit on and it'll thaw right out. But that's impractical in the long-term. The vaseline idea is good, but be careful, it could change the seal and cause cabin noise to increase. Or, leakage under high-pressure (automatic car washes). Silicone spray would wash off too fast, I would think.

Personally, I'd toss a can of de-icer in the trunk and just check for ice before yanking the door open (if you can see it when closed). Checking with the dealership may also help, maybe there's an after-market product made specifically for foam gasket doors.

paul

7. Baron58 macrumors 6502

That's the solution. Vaseline will break down the material, silicone won't. It works on my GTI (same generation). You should also spray the hatch/trunk seal with it.

8. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

Good suggestion! VW has addressed this problem in the new Golfs and Jettas...the doors no longer wrap around to the roof (like the Passats).

[​IMG]

9. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

thanks... that's exactly what i wanted to hear before breaking down the seal! :D

10. punkmac macrumors regular

vw rubber

This has been a VW issue since the Bug. It's just one of those "it just a VW thing" I have 2 Rabbits '80 '84 both Diesels and I've owned Bugs and Ghias.

Some things are great and others make me say WTF?

I.

11. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

The door seals on my dad's 04 Golf are in the process of slowly falling off, we've only had the car since August but already it seems to be dropping to bits. It's due its first service in the next few weeks so hopefully this will be fixed and no more water will leak into the car...hopefully the metallic scraping sound which comes from the front left wheel will be fixed too..although they have already tried this once before to no avail. Oh, and the heater - that needs to be fixed too as it only works intermittently.

The door seal problem has also be noted by one of the car mags I read as it's happening to their long term model as well!

And there was me thinking VW's were supposed to be made well! We've had more problems on the Golf in 5 months than we did with a Vauxhall Astra over 3 and a half years!

Attached Files:

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have owned a VW since 1984. Mine was a Bug. It was why I lived in Nebraska. The temperature got well below 0, at time 10 below. Don't remember having any trouble with the door gasket. Often wished that I had a booster heater, it got awfully cold.

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I can't remember a car in my family that hasn't has the frozen door syndrome. Well, I haven't been in my brother's Impreza in the winter, so I don't know about that one.
    And not a single one of them have been European, much less a VW.

14. 18thTomorrow macrumors 6502

I own a 98 VW Beetle, and I live in Michigan. THis is my first winter owning it, but it's worked like a champ. I haven't had any issues with the door seals; and this week we've had several nights well below freezing.

However, My co-worker owns a Golf and just today he was complaining about how the doors stick in the winter.

15. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Be careful with the vaseline...

No, not for that reason ;)

As others have already mentioned, vaseline and other petroleum based products will deteriorate foam and rubber gaskets in short order.

Silicone grease/spray is okay, but be sure to read the label to make sure that it's not harmful to rubber and plastic - there might be petroleum based ingredients in there besides the silicone. IMHO if it doesn't specifically say that it won't harm rubber, don't take a chance and look for a product that does.

16. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

It's because the way Jetta doors wrap up to the roof. My 2000 Passat never had the doors freeze either, because the doors were more like the Beetle. You can sort of see what I mean in the picture below. The doors will also let in a bunch of snow of rain when they're opened. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

This is not just an issue with VW's; I had a similar issue with my Subaru Baja this week. Fortunately the gaskets are damaged yet, but long term they could be.

18. zulgand04 macrumors regular

zulgand04

here in New England where we can go from rain to freezing temps in a few hours it happens all the time, its never damaged my 96 jetta. Though i know of alot of problems with the door handles being torn off by pulling too hard. Happened to my impaicent brother once.

Love the car :)

-Neal

19. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

well, i didn't really damage the foam gasket... it's more like a part of the foam got ripped off. i managed to have the warranty cover it for the first two times it happened. since the warranty ran out, it happened once and i'm now much more careful about tugging on the door if it's frozen.

anyone with an idea where i can get those silicon sprays? would it be under automotive section or somewhere else?

20. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Pep Boys or any other store that specilaizes in auto parts/repairs. Just look for a silicone spray based lubricant or water repellant.

But your best bet is try google first.

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Given your history you might be able to get the Area Manager to extend your "warranty" on this part.

22. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

The same thing happened on my Seat Toledo, which is basically a VW Bora, the problem is with the window seals, the water is designed to drain out of the inside of the door panels via drain holes on the bottom of the door, the seals work well against the glass, but let water down the back, you van seal the seals (does that make sense?) by using bathroom sealer along the bottom of the seal inside the door, but you need to take the inside door liner off and the window glass out.

I don't get frozen doors now.

23. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

My mom has the Passat W8 and I have never heard her complain. My sister has the Toureg and I have not her complain either. My Audi (similar to VWs) also has no problem. My friend who has a 2002 4Runner (boxy doors) has had problems with the door seals.

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Silicone spray, seems to be a VW shop all purpose spray/lubricant.

I think it's in the VW service manuals to spray/lubricate the door seals and things like CV joint boots, sunroof, etc. at every service.

Since the free service period is gone in the US, most people no longer do it.

25. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Do modern VW's still have that feature? I remember it from my old late 80's Jetta. The drain holes got clogged by detrius (leaves etc) and eventually flooded my car.

I got up for work one morning, went outside to my car (it was sunny), opened the door and water gushed out. I had to drive to the gas station with water up to my mid-calves. Interesting to shift underwater.

All my windows were closed tight, it was a strange phenomenon. My doors also would freeze on the odd times that Texas nights went below freezing. I believe it is a serious design flaw. VW does not seem too good with door technology, I also had to replace my door handles five times (though everything else was perfect).

meh.