W.House Sees 'Gutter Politics' in Bush Guard Flap

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Feb 11, 2004.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It looks like the spin control machine is gearing up. I especially like McClelland's "don't call us, we'll call you" approach. The media is probably also impressed.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=615&e=1&u=/nm/20040211/pl_nm/campaign_bush_dc

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

oh, sure, when someone other than the GOP makes inquiries, it's trolling...

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

But it's all good when the GOP does it...
    Link

4. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I'll be interested to see how this administration tries to campaign against Kerry's history of corporate connections. Talk about hypocrisy! With all the Halliburton news does anybody think this will fly?

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I think the WH will focus more on Kerry's "Jane Fonda problem" and the gay marriage/Ted Kennedy liberal issue than the corporate stuff. They've gotta know that that one could bite them at least as hard as it could bite Kerry. Their strategy will be to try to portray Kerry as making Ted Kennedy look conservative. And expect more of the 'he looks French' comments too.

6. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Re: W.House Sees 'Gutter Politics' in Bush Guard Flap

What impresses me is that some in the media are still actually looking into this story. After the way they jumped on Clark for Michael Moore's comment, I thought they would all run away from the story. So far what I see is statements that he was jumped over others to get into the Guard, there is no records or people to show he did any guard duty while working for his father's friend's campaign in Alabama, and he was given special dispensation to get out early. It also looks like he got his credits for service after Alabama without showing up either. This from a President who won't let guard members serving in Iraq out of service even if their time is up.

mac, I agree it looks like a rerun of Atwater's '88 strategy. Unlike Dukakis, Kerry is not willing to set back at take it.

7. DavisBAnimal macrumors member

Thought this might interest some people - it's the transcript from the press conference the other day:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/02/20040210-3.html

All I have to say is - where the hell were these guys the past three years? I think it's awesome they finally started getting critical at these things, but why now, why all the complacency before this? (Up until this point they were more dictation machines for the WH).

I have to say it's great to see the press finally get all up in the WH's grill on this issue - I just wish they had done it all along.

Any guess how much longer before all these guys get banned from future WH press conferences?

Davis

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

wow

i particularly enjoyed

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Little Liar Ari got out just in time. Even that forked tongued bastard would have trouble keeping up with this one.

10. wwworry macrumors regular

Then let's start to examine the boil on Cheney's but that got him a medical deferment.

How big was the boill, sir?

11. wwworry macrumors regular

That was a hell of a press conference and a great read.

12. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I was wondering pretty much the same thing. I can only guess the reason for waiting is becaue (a) the popularity of him during the war and post 9/11, and (b) they figured we'd all get tired of hearing about it so they decided to hold off until it was critical.

13. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Yes and frustrating at the same time!