W-lan advice, extending range ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cluthz, Feb 13, 2006.

1. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Hi!

I've just moved and recently arranged a deal with my new neighbour about sharing i-net.

It's approx 30-40 feet from my computer to his wireless router, still the connection is horrible! Only in a few spots in my room there are possible to use it at all. (I've checked the cable to the airport card)

His accesspoint/router is a topcom (low quaility equipment).

Wiring is not an option, but somekind of extending/repeating the signal would possibly a solution? Could i buy an another accesspoint and repeat the signal?
    The net is a standard 54mbit (using wep encryption)

Thanks in advance

2. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

Instead of investing in something to repeat the signal, try replacing the old router completely. Almost any new 54G router should have good reception at 40 feet.
    Other approach is to check if old router has replacable antenna and replace it with new (bigger) one. However this may be more expensive than buying new router/AP.

3. cluthz thread starter macrumors 68040

cluthz

The reason i wanna reapat is that the sender isn't in my flat and that I wanna have good reception in my whole flat.

Can all new accesspoint/routers repeat signals?

4. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

5. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

No, not all of them.
    I know that some D-Link models (624?) can be used as repeaters for existing wlan network.

Another option is to get yourself wireless router and one of those ethernet to wireless bridges (also called wireless gama adapters). They are known to have a very good reception. So you configure bridge adapter to connect to other wlan and hook it up to WAN port on your router. Your router will serve your network and adapter will provide bridge to other network and internet.