W00t? Nasty bug in PS 7...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Zenith, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

Anyone else noticed that when you transform and rotate anything rasterized in Photoshop you get those clearly visible jaggies along the edges? It looks really ugly. Can't believe I have to use 6.0 just to rotate graphics... :p

2. MikeH macrumors regular

I can't say I've had a problem. There is a little jagginess (if that's a word) while you are previewing the transform, but when you accept it it's fine.

3. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I can't say I have the problem you're describing. Like MikeH said, while you're previewing the transform it is jaggy, but after you accept it it is smoothed out...

4. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

post a sample so we can see what you mean - a before and after shot would be good.

D

6. Zenith thread starter macrumors 6502

Zenith

Here's what i mean... Look at the square before and after rotate.

Strange that nobody else notices the problem.

Attached Files:

7. iGav macrumors G3

I've just tried it..... no problems here........

8. Zenith thread starter macrumors 6502

Zenith

clearly, it has something to do with the interpolation. I've tried bilinear and "nearest neighbour" interpolation, but i only get an even worse result than with bicubic interpolation... I think I'll just reinstall Photoshop and see if the problem gets solved then.

9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Is that photo a screen grab or an actual outputted photoshop file? You know how sometimes Photoshop displays objects weird at non-uniform percentages (like 33.3%, 66.6%, etc.)

10. Zenith thread starter macrumors 6502

Zenith

Heh... No, actually, it's an outputted file. A screen grab from 33,3 % or 66,6 % zoom would've looked even worse.

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ouch, that's not good, somethings up'ck fupped

I'd definitely reinstall PS, hopefully that's all you need to do.

D

12. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    you are using raster graphics, not bector graphics. that square you have look perfect b/c it is right in line with the pixels on your screen. when you rotate it the pixels have to go up one, over one to show the square (diamond). that is why it looks jagged. just up your resolution and deal with it. no straight horizontal line will stay smooth when rotated, ever.:D

13. Zenith thread starter macrumors 6502

Zenith

erm... sorry, but DOH! Of course the square isn't perfect when rotated to anything other than 90, 180, 270 and 360 degrees! Of course you'll see antialiasing unless you aren't working with black and white graphics. But can't you see those jaggies?? It looks like the square have been chopped to small pieces and put together the wrong way. It's only a matter of a pixel wrong here and there, but it gets even more clearly with complex graphics. And it looks really nasty and un-Photoshop-like. I've never seen this "bug" in the previous versions.

14. Pin-Fisher macrumors member

I see what you mean. It looks like someone has "kicked" the top of the square on the right. That picture looks simple enough to where PS& should have been able to handle it...interesting.

Attached Files:

15. MikeH macrumors regular

Zentih, I've just copied and pasted your image into Photoshop 7 and rotated the square on the left to roughly the same angle as yours and it looks fine - nothing like yours on the right.

Interpolation is set to Bicubic (default) in preferences.

16. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Damn... it's been like that for 2 weeks now... and you're the first to notice :)

17. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

beej, we have all noticed, but avatars ain't in the top of the conversation list anymore

location,location

you have been watching to much TV

18. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

OK sorry... first to point it out, then.

I like that shark pic... took me a sec to realise there was something strange about it :D