W00t! The new baby is here!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JamesDP, Sep 18, 2002.

1. JamesDP macrumors member

Jul 24, 2002
    Ok, it's not a baby, but it is my first Mac. My iBook, case and iPod showed up yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately I had plans last night so I couldn't do anything with them last night, but I did open up the boxes this morning. I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a computer. You should have seen me trying to open the iPod box - it was like watching a monkey do algebra :p Even Apple's packaging is amazing! ;) I eventually figured it out and checked out all the contents. Can't wait to have that puppy bloated to the gills with mp3s :D

I also showed my Mom the iBook and let her hold all of its 5 pounds of glorious splendor. She was amazed it was so light (she had just been holding my Dad's work notebook and it's 72 [okay 10] pounds of rugged desktop replacement utility).

I don't know how I'm gonna make it through this day - I've managed 4 hours thus far, but I am so giddy right I can barely contain myself. I'll post some details of my first impressions with the iBook and iPod tonight hopefully (if I can find the time ;))

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go - I don't wanna pee myself ;)
  2. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Jan 3, 2002
    San Destin Florida
    Well, I don't have to follow up to see if you like it do I?

Congrats, and welcome to Mac world.
  3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Congrats on the new purchase, enjoy! Glad you found the time to post and tell everyone....;)

4. SilvorX macrumors 68000

May 24, 2002
    'Toba, Canada
    welcome to the mac world....which im not a part of yet lol
  5. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

Aug 5, 2002
    Notre Dame
    Congratulations! I know the feeling, when i got my iMac, on the day before the jaguar release i felt the same way. we got back from the Apple store at around 9:30, me ny my friend were on it tll 4 in the morning. Good luck with it:D
  6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    he he he....another one bites the dust...

congrats... :D

good to see another new user coming aboard! :D ;)

now u gotta stick around and let us all know how much fun u are having with your new computer...
  7. mac15 macrumors 68040

Dec 29, 2001
    nice man, I'm hoping to get an ipod for xmas, a nice 10gigger , mmmmmm sweet
    and have fun , its a crash free world in OSX
  8. JamesDP thread starter macrumors member

Jul 24, 2002
    I'm writing to you in post-orgasmic bliss from my iBook :D It only took a few minutes to get it set up and it's purring like a kitten right now. Well, wait it actually isn't - I have to put my ear about an inch away to hear it running. Everything on the screen is absolutely beautiful. Computing never looked so good.

I did have one problem though during setup. While it was setting up my internet connection it just sorta sat there, and not wanting to get all panicky, I let it do its work and went in the other room to watch a little TV. When I came back, it was asleep, but nothing I did woke it up. I ended up having to do a ctrl-cmnd-pwr to reboot it. Is there any set way to wake it from sleep (or should I just RTFM ;))?

Thanks again for all the kind words. *This* is what using a computer is supposed to be like :)
  9. G5orbust macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002
    Your doubly lucky if you didnt get any dead pixels in that purdy piece of finley tuned mac machinery's screen. BTW, i get so excited when i open a new computer box (or even see it done) i get all weak kneed and my vision starts to blur. Thats true love for computers right tehre.

10. JamesDP thread starter macrumors member

Jul 24, 2002
    Actually, I found two dead ones, but they're liveable.
  11. G5orbust macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002
    o bummer. At least theyre not pests like a bright red one right in the center of the screen....
  12. Jeffx342 macrumors regular

Sep 4, 2002
    North Andover
    Congradulations on the ibook

Its absolute torture for me waiting for the new line of powerbooks i have the money and all

hopefully October is the month!
  13. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Jan 3, 2002
    San Destin Florida
    I think we are all waiting for that ;) I jus bought one, so yea, there will be a new one soon.
  14. JamesDP thread starter macrumors member

Jul 24, 2002
    Just had the pleasant experience last night of networking my PC and iBook to tranfer all my files over. The Mac side was easy, it was the PC side that was annoying. Only took an hour and a half to transfer over 11 gigs of data though - that wasn't too bad.

I'm gonna have to get Virtual PC though because there's no easy way to convert my Quicken data (a lot of my settings won't transfer over when I convert), and I have *years* of it. Now I just have to decide between Windows 2000 and XP.
  15. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2002
    Prospect, KY
    Quicken for Mac won't open your Windows Quicken data? It did for me.
  16. JamesDP thread starter macrumors member

Jul 24, 2002
    According to Quicken's Knowledge Base:

Quicken 2002 for Windows

Title: Converting data from Quicken for Microsoft Windows to Quicken for Macintosh
    KB ID#: 2159
    Categories: File Management/Conversion
    Question: How do I convert my Quicken data from Microsoft Windows to Macintosh?

Answer: The following components of your Quicken for Microsoft Windows data file will convert to Quicken for Macintosh:

* Accounts (except those specified below)
    * Transactions
    * Categories, Classes, and Securities that are contained within the exported transactions

The following components of your Quicken for Microsoft Windows data file will not convert to Quicken for Macintosh:

* Scheduled Transactions
    * QuickFill Transactions
    * Loan Setups
    * Online Account Setups
    * Online Payee Lists
    * Memorized Reports
    * Security Price Histories
    * Account types that do not exist in Quicken for Macintosh
    o 401(k)
    o ESPP
    o ESOP
    o Accounts Receivable
    o Accounts Payable
    * Home & Business specific features
    * Tax status of Investment accounts

I use a lot of stuff on the "Does not convert over" list. I mean if you say it works for you, that's great, but according to Quicken it doesn't.
  17. wake up Jobs!!! macrumors regular

Mar 10, 2002
    Miami, Florida
    congrats on your new ibook. I am glad to see excitement from a new mac owner. That is what make the mac platform and community so fun to be apart of:D

P.S. Micheal Andretti is a ***** because he switched from cart to the IRL. he knows the irl drivers totally suck so he can acctually win a race:rolleyes:
  18. medea macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi