Wacom Announces Pressure-Sensitive Intuos Creative Stylus for iPad

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 19, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Wacom today debuted its Intuos Creative Stylus (via Engadget), which uses Bluetooth 4.0, integrated shortcut buttons, and 2,048 levels of pressure sensitivity to create "a realistic pen-on-paper feel" when drawing on an iPad. It's designed for sketching, drawing, and painting and aims to deliver "professional-grade performance" to iPad users.

[​IMG]
    The pen comes in blue or black brushed aluminum with a case, extra nibs, and a replacement AAA battery. It is compatible with the third generation iPad, the fourth generation iPad, and the iPad mini. While it is meant to work with the company's Bamboo Paper app, it will apparently be compatible with other apps as well, including SketchBook Pro, ArtRage, and ProCreate.
    In addition to announcing the stylus, Wacom has released a new version of its Bamboo Paper app. Version 2.0 of the app includes Tumblr and Dropbox sharing, along with premium notebooks, improved palm rejection software, new color palettes, and new tools.

Wacom's Intuos Creative Stylus will be available in Best Buy Stores for $99 beginning in October.

Bamboo Paper is an iPad app that can be downloaded for free from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Wacom Announces Pressure-Sensitive Intuos Creative Stylus for iPad

2. macrumors 6502

my gf thinks my pen is too sensitive to pressure. :(

3. macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

4. macrumors regular

Any reason why this wouldnt be good for note taking? I think every stylus I have tried with Pentultimate has been terrible! Or has anyone tried the Wacom Bamboo iPad stylus?

5. macrumors member

Fat nib. Fail.

p.s. It may be hardware related, but Samsung's Note phablet and tablet seem to get the fine nib thing down just fine.

6. macrumors regular

There are small nib iPad stylus available too: http://adonit.net/jot/pro/

7. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

Mine mine mine mine mine. :D

I'm so glad it uses batteries. That is a nice thing.

8. macrumors regular

I have, I like it.
    My everyday stylus is the Adonit Jot Pro.

9. macrumors G3

Renzatic

That's because they have a Wacom digitizer built into the screen alongside the capacative.

I'm still holding out hope Apple eventually goes this route with the iPad line.

10. macrumors 601

macduke

I'm finally upgrading from the iPad 2 when the iPad 5th gen comes out this autumn and I'm definitely getting a pressure sensitive Bluetooth stylus. I do wish that Apple would build-in pressure sensitivity. I want an 11" or 12" iPad Pro with pressure sensitive display, quad-core A7, 4GB ram, 128GB SSD, and USB port for $999. Then I want either Apple's Pro apps ported over or some of Adobe's CC apps like Lightroom, Illustrator, and a more advanced Photoshop Touch. I want to design stuff while in my big brown comfy chair.

11. macrumors 601

HiRez

Why the bit about "available in Best Buy stores"? Does that mean it's not available outside of Best Buy stores? If it is, why the special plug for Best Buy? That sentence was written by MacRumors, not Wacom, at least that's how it appears in the post.

12. APlotdevice, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013

macrumors 68030

APlotdevice

Finally!

It is amazing how slow Wacom was to bringing this pressure sensitive stylus to the iPad. They could have beaten everyone else to the market, but instead chose to release various pieces of metal with a bit of rubber on one end.

13. macrumors 68000

ThunderSkunk

It was easy to understand Jobs' & Apples initial refusal to include a stylus and digitizer in the original ipad line. It established that iOS is first & foremost about touch-selecting things from preprogrammed menus, and forced devs to write apps to that effect, not just port over their existing cluttered UI's and make people hunt and peck for commands with a stylus and magnifying glass.

But Good. Great! You've established that. Everybody gets it. Now, can we please have our dang digitizer so we can write words and draw sketches quickly and legibly? I mean it's ridiculous.

But it feels like Apple is just going to milk cycle upgrades with little performance bumps as long as they can, instead of expanding the hardware functionality or intended use. Like they've reached the innovative cul-de-sac that paralyzes so many inventive companies.

...but hey, we get a fingerprint scanner on the home button. How incredibly useful.

14. macrumors regular

I've tried these and found them to be marginally better than thicker nubs, but still not great.

15. macrumors 68000

Funny, I'm on a Note 10.1 that I bought last week for $250 from walmart. And they want $100 for this?

16. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

They also just announced an Android Tablet and a Windows 8 Tablet based Cintiq 13HD....

Now to decide whether to send back my Cintiq 13HD when the courier delivers it tomorrow and wait for the new model to begin shipping later next month.

----------

Bluetooth 4 adoption was probably why it didn't appear originally, but yeah its something iPad owners have been crying out for.

My only concern is that it still has a big fat nib so I'm not sure how it will truly replicate outer normal Wacom pen experience.

----------

Yeah fat nib is a concern to me and must admit I felt disappointed seeing it...

17. macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

I agree. I should mention that I have a Note 8;)

18. Editor

jclo

Staff Member

That is actually directly from the Wacom press release, FYI, so I assume Wacom is teaming up with Best Buy to distribute this stylus. I do not know if it will be available outside of Best Buy, as it only specified Best Buy as the place to get it. Here's exactly what the release says:

Pricing and Availability
    The Intuos Creative Stylus ($99 USD) will be available at the beginning of October from Best Buy.

19. macrumors 6502

I don't think Apple will add a digitizer anytime soon. For one, Apple wants the iPad to be thinner, and a digitizer makes it thicker. But most of all, I think they are content with the ecosystem of third parties creating accessories for their iPad. There's no other platform with more third parties making accessories than Apple's. Is it the best solution for people using a stylus? No. But I think for the number of people using a stylus daily it is nothing for Apple to worry about.

20. macrumors 68020

theBB

21. macrumors 6502

Yeah, it seems you must apply much force to register that pen. I'll probably buy the Wacom, because they have much expertise. I only need a pen like 25% of the time, but it will be nice to have palm rejection and pressure sensitivity. A bit pricey, but I hope it will last me through several generations of iPads.

22. APlotdevice, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013

macrumors 68030

APlotdevice

Well even still Apple has had Bluetooth 4.0 capable hardware for almost a year and a half now.

23. macrumors member

I am using this too.
    I love it but… the pen cap is very easy to loose when I put it in my pocket.

Waiting for iPen.

24. blackcrayon, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013

macrumors 65816

You could also look at the Hex3 Jaja, they have these new Teflon tips that are sort of an "open" disc so they give you a pretty small point to look at...they also glide across the screen pretty well and have less chance of dragging grit. They don't seem to have palm rejection like the jot touch pro though.

25. macrumors 6502

cheesyappleuser

Wacom Announces Pressure-Sensitive Intuos Creative Stylus for iPad

Adonit Jot Pro all the way.
    Sorry but THAT is good. And is a pen, not a stylus

Who needs a $50 iPen when you have the Jot Pro?!