Wacom Intuos3 or Graphire Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by quidire, Jul 1, 2005.

1. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

Hi there

I'm shopping both for myself and for my girlfriend. I need to be able to play with Illustrator and Photoshop to create web graphics and alter some photographs, mainly for personal use. She's really into photography, and would like to have something that lets her really explore photoshop's functionality in her work.

The main tension I have is that a cordless device is over just far more pleasant to use; conversely the Intuos has many features (tilt for one) that I can see being very useful.

What say you? :)

-RS

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have the Intuos3 and love it. I had the Intuos2 SE and loved it (9x12) but I was to move and so I sold it off for a 6x8 v3. My only regret is that I kind of miss the space on the tablet, but I have adjusted. I love the pen in the 3 better than the 2. When I saw that Wacom came out with a Graphire BT I was stoked and sad. I won't sell off my 1 year old I3 just to get BT. The cords don't bug me that much. With that in mind, my reason for not going with the graphire is that I love the tilt. I knew from working with tablets in autocad that the tilt was pointless with drafting. However, when heads were turned I would load PS and play. I quickly understood the tilt and the complete benefit of it. For me, I paint and work with my photos. Tilt for the photos is pointless, tilt for the painting is priceless. The pressure levels aren't hugely restricting on the graphire, but the day I run into a problem i know I would regret the fact that I did not buy the I3...if that had been the case.

Given the list of things you want to do, I kind of think the Graphire would be ok for you. It sounds like you want to do more vector work and for that you don't need tilt since vector is ... vector. ;)

3. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, I bought an Intuos 3 about 2 mths ago and the usb cable is not much of a bother since I sit at my desk and only have a 17" screen. Now if i had a 30" we may talk different then :) The buttons on the tablet are great as to not concern myself with the mouse as much anymore (compaired to my older tablet that is).

4. quidire thread starter macrumors 6502

quidire

Thanks guys, I think a 9x12 Intuos3 is the one I'll go with; that and Adobe CS2 should be a fun present for my girlfriend for our 1000th day of dating :D

Yes yes, whipped and all that, hey, she likes mac toys, german board games and loves to cook. I win huge!

-RS

5. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger