wacom tablet for note taking?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Cybix, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

We're looking at getting a wacom tablet (for my wife to take notes in class)..

She has a MBP, with office (mac)... and wishes to take notes and draw diagrams quickly during a lecture, etc...

What program would she use a wacom tablet with to do this? It really wont be used for graphic design or manipulation.. just note taking..

would love to hear of peoples experiences!

James

2. Cybix thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cybix

hrmmm. did some reading up, seems when you plug a wacom in, 'ink' appears in the system preferences and you can write straight into any app, and even control app's.. neat.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

As far as I know you can't "write in any app". A wacom is designed for graphic artists. I could be wrong since I have not been to their site, but I use my Wacom for photoshop, illustrator, and any design app. I do not use the mouse it came with.

For note taking, the wacom would be nice for graphs and such, but otherwise, it's faster to type.

4. truz macrumors 6502a

truz

He also stated "and draw diagrams quickly". I don't know much about wacoms, but I myself and looking into them as I'm a web designer.

My father is big on drawing house plans as he's in the process of drawing all our houses (mine, sisters, and my parents house) for future use. I was looking at getting this for himself to use as well.

5. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I have a tablet, and I suppose you could... Though, I'd be unconventional since the tablet represents your entire screen.

You could remove the screen mapping, but shortly after, everything turns into nonsense [Like handwriting with a mouse].

6. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Wouldn't this work with the Inkwell program that came with Panther [i think Panther]?

EDIT: I guess it does, i just noticed the Wacom tablets on the bottom right of the same window. DA.

7. Cybix thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cybix

well i looked at the 'help' on my tiger system, and searched for 'ink' and it explains the ability to use a tablet in almost any application to convert handwriting to text.. hrmm

8. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Pain in the rear lugging around a wacom tablet. Wonder if her professor does handouts or distributes the diagrams (powerpoint?)